Predator attack

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
I apologize now for gory pictures šŸ“· but I would like some help if possible. We at Snowflake Farm are sad we lost our number 2 laying hen today and have 1 that survived but is wounded ...her injuries to me don't look to bad ...not sure how to deal with it. Missing tail feathers and looks like broken skin with no bleeding...HOW do we proceed? I am going to clean her up and possibly isolate her. She has been with the 9 bird flock since this happened and no one has bothered her YET. 20200923_161915.jpg
20200923_161904.jpg

So, I'm having trouble sort of deciphering these pictures...is this wound near her vent?

Keeping her isolated and away from flies ( you certainly don't want maggots!) would be your next step. After cleaning I would apply an antibiotic ointment.

Good luck with her!

Yes its her vent she is laying on her back in my lap and not real happy about it...our 3rd best laying bird...we are at a loss to understand how this happened other than the neighbors have new pets around...hopefully I won't have to send it back in a bag to them.

Don't even get me started....I lost a beautiful flock of blue and lavender Orps and Cochin to my irresponsible neighbor's dog.

I will say chickens are really tough. My one rooster had his whole butt shredded--(tail feathers gone, open, gaping wounds) by aforementioned dog and healed up wonderfully--although he was scarred mentally (became extremely aggressive).

At this point just getting her the extra care will be a big step in her recovery.

Thank you for the support, we lost an 8 girl flock to dogs a year and a half ago, the wound for the humans is still pretty raw. We are going to bath šŸ› her in warm water to clean her up and use a triple antibiotic on the bare skin. She and her now 8 flock mates are pretty shook up. I'm really an animal lover at heart ā¤ but not when they kill one of my GIRLS.

Is the vent itself damaged?
Bird can heal from some horrific wounds, but a torn vent might not heal enough to function.
Keep it clean with a saline wash and moist with plain antibiotic ointment.
Keep any feathers out of wound.
I would keep her isolated to avoid flystrike.
Is she eating and drinking......and pooping?

I'm not the best at first aid stuff...
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive are and....they may be able to tag others.

I apologize now for gory pictures šŸ“· but I would like some help if possible. We at Snowflake Farm are sad we lost our number 2 laying hen today and have 1 that survived but is wounded ...her injuries to me don't look to bad ...not sure how to deal with it. Missing tail feathers and looks like broken skin with no bleeding...HOW do we proceed? I am going to clean her up and possibly isolate her. She has been with the 9 bird flock since this happened and no one has bothered her YET. View attachment 2345579
View attachment 2345575
Her tail feathers will grow back but make sure to clean that wound really good and keep than eye on it and make sure it doesnā€™t get worse also make sure you put some original Neosporin ointment on it and make sure you donā€™t let flies around it so it wonā€™t get infected or maggots donā€™t get in it. Make sure to clean it everyday and if she lays eggs make sure to watch if she tries cause that could tear something and she should heal good and quick if something is tore in it.

Eating and drinking definitely but haven't seen a poop. She's pretty skittish about being caught and checked out..I'll try before dark so we can isolate her. Her "sisters" are also very protective of her.

Might want to just keep an eye to see if she ever poops, cause that will tell you if anything is tore cause if there is, there will be blood in the poop. Thatā€™s how my hen was when she get attacked she didnā€™t like people to touch her or anything so we had to do it at dark. Hopefully nothing was tore and that she heals good and feels better soon.

Back
Top Bottom