predator attack!!!

bravevline

Songster
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
the sorriest thing happened, a dog killed two of my peas and now only one remains!!!!!!!!!! its extremely upsetting, but maybe i can find a new one at this auction I'm going to. ;(

hugs.gif

It finally happened. I lost a hen some time last night to a predator. I strongly suspect a coon. It's my fault and I feel terrible. I've been predator free all this time. Got a false sence of security. I have 4 newly hatched babies. I set mom up in coop and allowed my Roo and 2 other hens to stay in the whoop coop. This was a fatal mistake and I lost my RIR Tillie. She was the friendliest one of them all. She let me pick her up and she came to me when I called her. Now I feel like my whole setup is vulnerable. We put up some expanded metal over openings and blocked in other weak areas with 3/4 inch wood. They can wonder into the whoop coop but no more over night stays. Lesson learned but did it have to come at such a high price?

It finally happened. I lost a hen some time last night to a predator. I strongly suspect a coon. It's my fault and I feel terrible. I've been predator free all this time. Got a false sence of security. I have 4 newly hatched babies. I set mom up in coop and allowed my Roo and 2 other hens to stay in the whoop coop. This was a fatal mistake and I lost my RIR Tillie. She was the friendliest one of them all. She let me pick her up and she came to me when I called her. Now I feel like my whole setup is vulnerable. We put up some expanded metal over openings and blocked in other weak areas with 3/4 inch wood. They can wonder into the whoop coop but no more over night stays. Lesson learned but did it have to come at such a high price?
So sorry for your loss... We're in a drought here and the coyotes and foxes have started coming around for the first time in four years. Pretty good climbers, they just climb right over our 5' chainlink fence.

-Kathy

I really hope nothing happens to your flock. I get very attached to all my animals. Even my Beta Fish I had for a long time. Died of old age. Thanks for your thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom