Predator People in Miami

d.k

red-headed stepchild
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southeast Coast of Florida
* Just heard a story on the "local" news of a man in Miami Gardens, FL who had 48 of his goats stolen overnight. He has 11 left.
sad.png

A guy in Manitoba I think has had over 200 sheep stole, twice. They load them up in the middle of the field at night with corrals and trucks. I don't think they have ever found them.
My friend here had 6 guinne fowl stolen then they showed up at the local auction the other week.

* WOW, k.!!! The 'perangus-faces' sure knew what they were looking for in your case, didn't they!!! Gads!! How many people even know a blue orp when they see one?? I almost hate to ask, but did you call the cops & what did THEY say??

I did report it. They actually came out. Probably because they where bored that day. They really didn't know what to say. I think they where in shock that some one would actually steal chickens.

* This fellow's goats were supposedly 'rare breed', too-- I have NO idea what's considered rare in a goat breed, they didn't name the breeds in the story and no pics either. The 11 wandering round the pen just looked like goats to me!!!

I never understood this, especially with the goats. If they are a rare breed then they probably have papers, like the lady's goats down the street. You are not going to get what those goats are worth without the papers to prove they are of worth. It's like people stealing registered horses, prized breeding studs and champions. Now what are you going to do with it? It ain't worth what you think unless you got the papers to prove he is who you say he is.

*sigh* It just doesn't make sense to me. They may not have known that the goats were of a rare breed, they may have just seen goats they could turn around and sell for food at about $80 a head.

-Kim

* I'm still wondering where you'd put 48 goats around here and not have someone say, "Hey, where'd you get all those goats?". There's really not too much rural type landscape left around here. 48 goats wouldn't exactly go unnoticed in a Public Storage, I don't think.
idunno.gif
! But my 'criminal instincts' are pretty limited-- I could never understand how s/o even concieves of stuff like stealing a flock of goats or dragging an ATM down the street behind a pick-up! I guess I don't have much imagination!!

Last edited:
d.k :

* I'm still wondering where you'd put 48 goats around here and not have someone say, "Hey, where'd you get all those goats?". There's really not too much rural type landscape left around here. 48 goats wouldn't exactly go unnoticed in a Public Storage, I don't think.
idunno.gif

It may be the same with goats as it is with horses. When horses are stolen they are usually immediately taken out of state, to local auctions. You can usually find your stolen animals if you travel around to auctions within 250 miles of your home for the next few months. You just have to have some kind of proof that the animals are yours. My friend had a horse stolen from her last year, she got him back and then lost him again. It was pretty frustrating situation. Had to go to court and everything.

It is strange that it took place in Miami, it is alot more common out west. At least with horses anyway. It is easier to steal animals further west(I'm in NC), just because ranchers will have hundreds or thousands of animals free ranging on a TON of land. People have been known to just pull up and round up somewhere between 50-100 horses, load them up and take off. They aim for the younger ones because they usually aren't branded yet.

I wouldn't think people would steal chickens though. I can see someone stealing a few for eating.. maybe breeding if they knew what they were getting.. It is sad either way.. It is just plain laziness, I understand some chickens are expensive($300 silkie pullet
roll.png
) but if you really can't afford it, you can buy a $10 pair from down the road and put the work into breeding them to be like that $300 silkie.. All it takes is some hard work, a bit of time, and selective breeding..

I can't afford high quality Java chickens, doesn't mean I go out and steal someone's flock. It just means that I take the culls from the local breeder and work my way up in quality through selective breeding.

It's just stupid..
idunno.gif

-Kim​

Back
Top Bottom