Predator problems

ErinGannon

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
Hey guys, we have easter eggers and buff brahams and just finished the new coop. We currently have hawks that watch the birds and have taken a few of my neighbors chickens recently. And giant racoons lurk around the trees. We have 1/4" hardware cloth all around the run with a predator apron so they cant get in there. But my question is with the new roof, I decided to use polycarbonate panels so they are basically plastic. Has anyone had an animal chew through these or would they bother? Or what are your opinions and suggestions about them. Also whats the best way to latch an external egg box. Thanks in advance

Hey guys, we have easter eggers and buff brahams and just finished the new coop. We currently have hawks that watch the birds and have taken a few of my neighbors chickens recently. And giant racoons lurk around the trees. We have 1/4" hardware cloth all around the run with a predator apron so they cant get in there. But my question is with the new roof, I decided to use polycarbonate panels so they are basically plastic. Has anyone had an animal chew through these or would they bother? Or what are your opinions and suggestions about them. Also whats the best way to latch an external egg box. Thanks in advance
Sounds like a nice run you're building! We have the polycarbonate suntuf panels and love them! I did tuck a border of chicken wire under them of about 2 feet wide in most places and sandwiched that between the outside screws. My main deterrent hopefully for animals ending up on the roof in the first place was the electric fence wire around the top.

Sounds like a nice run you're building! We have the polycarbonate suntuf panels and love them! I did tuck a border of chicken wire under them of about 2 feet wide in most places and sandwiched that between the outside screws. My main deterrent hopefully for animals ending up on the roof in the first place was the electric fence wire around the top.
Thank you. Its been a long build. Those panels are pretty nice, I liked the fact that the sun can shine through the clear ones and natural light comes through the white ones.

Thank you. Its been a long build. Those panels are pretty nice, I liked the fact that the sun can shine through the clear ones and natural light comes through the white ones.
We love that about them too. The only thing I wish I'd done differently is to get a little bit darker panels. (We got the smoked gray panels.) They do create a bit of shade, but not quite enough for the hottest part of the day. I think we're going to end up replacing some of them with the darker panels or try to get some more greenery growing in and around their run. They're great for keeping them dry and protected though.

Back
Top Bottom