Predator problems

Jul 20, 2020
Hi I have recently had my chicken tractor broken in to by a mother fox and her two pups and then the next night we saw three different skunks eating the remaining parts of the hens I would love some advice to repel the skunks for they leave without them spraying and to repel the foxes for I don't have to deal with them the same way the delt with my hens. The live trap is not working for the foxes and I don't want to catch another skunk as last time I tried to be nice and let her live I relocated her but I opened the top she came out and sprayed me. If anyone has any ideas I'm desperate.

1) figure out how the foxes got in, fix the issue to prevent future break ins. Now they know there is food available, they will be back. Same goes for the skunks.
2) if you live in an area where you can dispatch the skunks, I would just do that versus trying to catch and relocate them.

best way to ensure the problem goes away is to secure you chickens from predators. Once they realize the food source is not available anymore, they will look elsewhere.

Than
1) figure out how the foxes got in, fix the issue to prevent future break ins. Now they know there is food available, they will be back. Same goes for the skunks.
2) if you live in an area where you can dispatch the skunks, I would just do that versus trying to catch and relocate them.

best way to ensure the problem goes away is to secure you chickens from predators. Once they realize the food source is not available anymore, they will look elsewhere.
thank you I have dispatched 2 skunks but oh my gosh they stunk for days and as did I

Live trap under a tarp. You can then approach from the blind and work with your prize.

CO2 fire extinguisher, or welding gas bottle(argon, 75/25 etc). Weight edges and run a hose under. Four wheeler exhaust works too. No spraying this way. Extinguisheris hard to regulate so it’s deadly. The argon and four wheeler I let run for ten minutes or so.

Live trap under a tarp. You can then approach from the blind and work with your prize.

CO2 fire extinguisher, or welding gas bottle(argon, 75/25 etc). Weight edges and run a hose under. Four wheeler exhaust works too. No spraying this way. Extinguisheris hard to regulate so it’s deadly. The argon and four wheeler I let run for ten minutes or so.
That's amazing 😉

Ditto Dat!

How did they get in @Will the chicken guy ?
Pics of your tractor might help here.
They got in through the roof the door the front under the bottom and both sides I would love to send you a pic but my coop is torn apart as I'm fixing all problems!

Beef up the coop, add lots of hardware cloth, not chicken mesh and then do as Sourland says, hot wire. Electricity is your friend and make it strong. It will take care of both Fox and Skunk. Rifles, shotguns and pistols work well. They will be back!

Beef up the coop, add lots of hardware cloth, not chicken mesh and then do as Sourland says, hot wire. Electricity is your friend and make it strong. It will take care of both Fox and Skunk. Rifles, shotguns and pistols work well. They will be back!
Shotguns are my friend how should I electrify the coop safely?

Back
Top Bottom