Predator proofing, apron or buried

By the time you get an apron covered so its not a hazard you've got just about the same amount of work as buried would be. So its mostly what you prefer/what kind of soil you have. I use both, I buried around my main coop and run and used the apron around a large run. They both work but i prefer the buried.

By the time you get an apron covered so its not a hazard you've got just about the same amount of work as buried would be. So its mostly what you prefer/what kind of soil you have. I use both, I buried around my main coop and run and used the apron around a large run. They both work but i prefer the buried.

The worst clay soil you can imagine that's hard as a rock. Got plenty of compost for filling raised beds. In my case, raised is much easier.

Quote: Not at all, since even a quarter inch of soil over the wire will let grass grow up through it an anchor it in place.
I covered mine with just a thin layer of old bedding from the coop.

Last edited:
Can I ask how much you paid? It's on sale now at TSC for $199 though April 21st I believe.

Yes I'm going to attach my run to the main run but in a "temporary" way with 4 eye-hooks (2 on each side top and bottom) so that when I need to move one or both it will be easy to take apart. If you would like I have all the measurements from the display at TSC which helped me build my run so that it would be the exact width. If memory serves me right the TSC coop is 41" tall and my run is 36 (because the hardware cloth either comes in 3' or 4' width).

I know! I paid 231. And thought I was getting a great deal!

I know! I paid 231. And thought I was getting a great deal!
That's not too bad. I see these online for $350 and more. I'm glad you didn't spend that!

You said that you already know that your coop is too small for your 6 hens???? I'm not too sure about that. I think that they might be able to roost 3 per bar (there are 2 inside). It will be a bit tight, but might be possible, especially if one or two are in the nest boxes.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll start another one under "Coop construction" and show you how I plan to modify my coop before I build it to include a door that I can close and some vents that also can be closed. I'll post you a link in this message when I get it done.

You can check it out here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...modify-my-pre-fab-coop-when-i-put-it-together

Last edited:
Would you install the wire beyond the raised bed horizontally? I'm wondering if the critters would just start digging outside the raised bed and go under? I really like the idea of the raise bed.

If I buried hardware cloth under my entire run (visualize a HUGE box completely enclosed in hardware cloth, and you have my run), do I need to still attach an apron?

This is related to predator proofing.... I want my completely enclosed run to have a people door that opens INTO the run. I have seen a lot of pics and can see how having the door open OUT of the run is safer, but does anyone have ideas on how to keep the chicks safe but still let me into the space?

Back
Top Bottom