kjenks7

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2018
Hello!

I have recently purchased a pre-made coop and am in the process of setting it up. I want to predator proof the coop as we have coyotes and raccoons in the area.

I have read that to predator proof the coop from underneath and prevent anything from digging under the coop, that you need to dig 3 ft underneath the coop and place hardware cloth. Is 3 feet necessary? Or would directly under the coop by efficient? Someone else has recommended to me that burying cinder blocks underneath the coop would be efficient as well. Any tips and advice are welcomed!

We want to make sure our chickens are safe! :)

Thank you!

Photos of your coop would be helpful. A skirt can be effective if it is attached to the coop and then laid out horizontally at least 18". You can lift the sod, lay the skirt in place and replace the sod. Any predator will come to the coop and start digging at the coop, when he hits the 1/2" hdw cloth, he will give up. All openings should be covered with 1/2" hdw cloth. Pop door, human door and any other doors should be secured by a latch that a 2 year old child could not operate.

When attaching your hdw cloth, do not use construction staples. You should use fencing staples, lath and screw, or screw and fender washers.

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it! Here is a picture of the coop we bought and where it will be going.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Coop.JPG
    Coop.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6843.jpg
    IMG_6843.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 9
Really love that south-west landscape. Seems you're on the right path to success. Tons of small little things you can do to improve your coop and provide a safe environment for your flock. Hardware Cloth is not an option anymore and should be using a lot and often as you are doing. Multiple action locks are another big thing with me, predators of four legs can't work them so they stay secure. Shoot us a picture when you get it all done.)

Back
Top Bottom