Predator proofing our 12 x 16 coop

CIRCLE C

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
In addition to our running wire along the inside bottom of our coop, we decided to reinforce the outside of the coop. This will serve dual purpose. It will make it tougher for predators to dig in/under the coop, as well as giving us additional space for flower beds/ or garden area.

I still need to finish the stone work in front of the doorway, but this will give you an idea of what we are trying to achieve.

DSC01500-1.jpg

That's looking good! What a nice, big coop, too. You might want to put up some wire with smaller openings, especially on the end where the chickens can roost right up against the wire. That would be a prime area for a raccoon to reach through and grab a chicken. Some solid wood just in that area would work, too.

woodlandwoman,

The way I have the coop right now, is that the backside is floor to ceiling wood. The roost is attached to the rear wall. Nothing can reach through the rear.

There is about 12-16" between the side of the roost and the North wall where there is wire.

Do you think that 12-16" is sufficient to keep a raccoon from grabbing one of the girls?

During the winter I intend to close the north wall to block the wind from coming through, but with our hot summers I wanted as much breeze as possible. Problem with the breeze, is it sure makes things more vulnerable to predators, and having to take them into consideration.

I got out my magnifying glass and now I see that the roost doesn't go all the way to the end. I'm sorry I missed that the first time. Too bad I don't have better eyesight!
big_smile.png

I have no idea how long a large raccoon's arm is. That looks like a pretty good gap between the perch and the wall, though. Good thinking! I thought you might live in a place with very hot summers, with all the nice air flow you built in.

Back
Top Bottom