Predator proofing?

I don't think the two feet adds much, if any, added benefit against predators that the hardware cloth won't do.

According to the YouTube videos put out by Carolina Coops, custom builders of chicken coops, the two foot predator apron works just as well, if not better, than burying wire down below the ground. Their statement is that any animal digging by the fence line will be stopped by the apron, move back a bit to try some more, stopped again, and reach a point before the 2 feet that they will give up. Something about them not wanting to dig a long tunnel where they could get trapped. I guess that makes sense to me. Certainly laying down a 2 foot predator apron and letting the grass grow through it seems to be a lot easier.

Coons and possums can reach in 2x4 fence injure and kill birds. They can even start to eat one through a hole that big. Stuff like snakes, minks, weasels will walk straight in for and all they can eat dinner.

All of that is very true. However, in my case, my daytime predators are most likely to be stray dogs, hawks, and Bald Eagles. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about coons, possums, snakes, minks, or weasels during the day. My 2X4 welded fencing and bird netting covering has worked well for me. At night, my chickens are locked up in the Fort Knox coop and that is very secure. But everyone has different predator concerns and has to adjust accordingly.

According to the YouTube videos put out by Carolina Coops, custom builders of chicken coops, the two foot predator apron works just as well, if not better, than burying wire down below the ground. Their statement is that any animal digging by the fence line will be stopped by the apron, move back a bit to try some more, stopped again, and reach a point before the 2 feet that they will give up. Something about them not wanting to dig a long tunnel where they could get trapped. I guess that makes sense to me. Certainly laying down a 2 foot predator apron and letting the grass grow through it seems to be a lot easier.
I agree with that. The two feet I was talking about was the amount the coop is raised off the ground. If I understood right, this coop has hardware covering the floor. That should work too, for keeping the coop safe.

I agree with that [predator apron]. The two feet I was talking about was the amount the coop is raised off the ground.

Ok. That makes more sense when I reread it now. And yes, animals will tend to live under the coop if there is no barrier. I had a rabbit living under my coop (raised about 18 inches) all winter. No problem for me. Actually threw it some corn every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom