Predator took a hen in daylight

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Baba Egg, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Baba Egg

Baba Egg New Egg

Mar 7, 2016
    Had a sad event yesterday. While I was out in the yard, I let the chickens out to roam. I heard the rooster make a rukus and I found one hen missing. I have 22 hens and one rooster. Took me a while but I found the missing hen, she was dragged out into the brush. Not totally consumed. Would this most likely be a fox? I have trapped several raccoons but this was a daylight attack. Any suggestions?

2. koolfunchicks

koolfunchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    I don't know what predators you have in your area bit where I live a few folks have lost hen's in the middle of the day to a bobcat. I am sorry for your loss.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Hawk, fox, or some other canine. Bobcat if they live near you. Lock everyone in for at least a week, or two, or more birds will disappear! Hawks come every few days, usually not daily, and will usually move on if there's nothing available. Good luck! Mary

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It could be most anything. I had a raccoon go into my coop and kill a hen in the middle of the day a few years ago. She was a mama and feeding 4 babies. Raccoons, fox, skunk, mink, and any other predator you can think of tend to be primarily nocturnal but will at times come out in the middle of the day. I think this is more common when they have young ones to feed. The only way to keep your chickens safe is to never let them free range. Even in a pen, they can get taken. This being said, I take the chance and free range my birds. I think it makes for a much happier flock.

5. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    We occasionally see, in the daytime,  predators who are usually nocturnal. There is always a risk. I have lost a free range bird in the daytime. But I also have seen chickens killed by dogs who tore thru the wooden door of a supposedly 'secure' coop, and another friend also believed her coop was secure, but it was torn open by her own dog. I agree with previous post that hens are happier free range. Happier, cleaner, and lay healthier eggs.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  6. Baba Egg

Baba Egg New Egg

Mar 7, 2016
    Thank you, I have heard there have been Bobcat sightings in the county. I plan to increase security measures.

7. Baba Egg

Baba Egg New Egg

Mar 7, 2016
    Thank you for your comments. I agree, the hens are much happier if they can roam during the day. I plan to lock them up for about a week, setting out live traps and then try again.

8. Baba Egg

Baba Egg New Egg

Mar 7, 2016
    Thank you for your suggestion. I will try locking them up for about a week, set some live traps and then try again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by