Predator took all 5 hens last night! I feel horrible!

That is awful, my neighbor is tracking the feathers and so far is a block down. He sees all feathers, no bodies.....
Hang in there. I know how you feel. It’s heartbreaking 💔
I also get really attached to my hens. I couldn’t even go to work for a couple of days. I also have chickens since 2014 and this was the first time that happened to me.

I also can feel your pain from losses I have had in the past. It could be any number of predators but fox and coyotes come to mind first. If you have a game camera, put it up because more than likely the predator has been lurking just looking for an opportunity and it will be back. I have several game cameras up on my property and have been surprised at the predators that roam here especially at night. Many have regular routes and routines. Some I have been able to identify as the same predator from the pictures from markings on them or injuries. The 2nd and 3rd pictures are of a coyote that had injured it's right front foot. I have seen it quite often.
IMAG0004820 03.jpg
IMAG000296 04.jpg
IMAG000191 01.jpg

Sorry for your loss! Don’t beat yourself up as mistakes or oversights happen! Some people don’t even lock up their chickens and have no troubles UNTIL a predator finds the chickens, then the losses occur. M guess is that the birds will be stashed somewhere for future dinners for the predator. Pretty sure foxes grab and stash. They are sly and crafty animals.

I also can feel your pain from losses I have had in the past. It could be any number of predators but fox and coyotes come to mind first. If you have a game camera, put it up because more than likely the predator has been lurking just looking for an opportunity and it will be back. I have several game cameras up on my property and have been surprised at the predators that roam here especially at night. Many have regular routes and routines. Some I have been able to identify as the same predator from the pictures from markings on them or injuries. The 2nd and 3rd pictures are of a coyote that had injured it's right front foot. I have seen it quite often.
View attachment 2015189View attachment 2015191View attachment 2015192
Thank you for the kind words ❤. Since I have now lost my beloved hens, I am not going to get any more. I cannot go through this heartache again. Wow!!! Your pics are definitely concerning, cameras are an awesome idea!!!!

Thank you for the kind words ❤. Since I have now lost my beloved hens, I am not going to get any more. I cannot go through this heartache again. Wow!!! Your pics are definitely concerning, cameras are an awesome idea!!!!
Given time, the human soul can heal when losses of people and animals that we care for occur. Life is a journey to be lived and wisdom comes as we age. I hope you are able to heal from this and get more chickens at some point as they can be part of that healing process.

Given time, the human soul can heal when losses of people and animals that we care for occur. Life is a journey to be lived and wisdom comes as we age. I hope you are able to heal from this and get more chickens at some point as they can be part of that healing process.
I agree, I just have to take some time and forgive myself, I am really stuck in guilt/despair right now. Thank you again for the support and your kindness ❤❤❤❤❤

I'll tell you a story about my most favorite bird. I never had a bird like Gladys, she was very special. Several months ago a fox killed my very special bird. I don't usually name my birds except for the special ones. Gladys was a cross beak that I had hatched out and raised. Normally I cull but I somehow missed Gladys so I figured she was meant to be. She had her own coop with other birds now and then that might need some TLC. She was 3 years old when a fox took her during the middle of the day when I was distracted. I had been seeing a fox on my cameras more at night. When she didn't come when I called her I knew something was wrong because she would always come so I went looking for her. I found some piles of feathers. I followed the trail but never did find her. I cried. I put traps out and caught the fox. It was mangy and boy did it stink. I knew it was a risk to let her out and but let my guard down. I still blame myself for not putting her back in her pen. She was dust bathing when I last saw her. I have a lot of birds so I'm still carrying on. I still miss Gladys and think of her every day. I'm now using her coop and pen for birds that need some TLC. I'm not letting her death get the best of me but it did take awhile to heal but the pain of loosing her will never go away and as I said I still blame myself for not putting her in her pen while I was distracted. You may decide that you want more birds in the future. They are such joy. Good luck and take care...

I'll tell you a story about my most favorite bird. I never had a bird like Gladys, she was very special. Several months ago a fox killed my very special bird. I don't usually name my birds except for the special ones. Gladys was a cross beak that I had hatched out and raised. Normally I cull but I somehow missed Gladys so I figured she was meant to be. She had her own coop with other birds now and then that might need some TLC. She was 3 years old when a fox took her during the middle of the day when I was distracted. I had been seeing a fox on my cameras more at night. When she didn't come when I called her I knew something was wrong because she would always come so I went looking for her. I found some piles of feathers. I followed the trail but never did find her. I cried. I put traps out and caught the fox. It was mangy and boy did it stink. I knew it was a risk to let her out and but let my guard down. I still blame myself for not putting her back in her pen. She was dust bathing when I last saw her. I have a lot of birds so I'm still carrying on. I still miss Gladys and think of her every day. I'm now using her coop and pen for birds that need some TLC. I'm not letting her death get the best of me but it did take awhile to heal but the pain of loosing her will never go away and as I said I still blame myself for not putting her in her pen while I was distracted. You may decide that you want more birds in the future. They are such joy. Good luck and take care...
Thank you so much, your story is very touching, and I so needed it right now. Thank you from the bottom of my broken heart....

Back
Top Bottom