Predator Wars... Pics of the enemy included

PorkChop

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
North Carolina
I built a coop and run that I thought was predator proof, for over a year no problems. This year we got new chicks in the spring and they have been doing well and as the nights remain warm we have been leaving the doors to the coop open. The chickens are still protected inside the run with chicken wire that is buried in the ground and a tin roof, since we have not yet had any problems we just did not worry about any danger.

Here's a picture of the run and coop.

Few days ago my wife went out to the coop in the morning to find the chickens all huddled up in the corner, she coaxed them out to discover that 6 was now 5, and the missing chicken was our favorite, the one that would jump up on your lap to be petted or liked to sit on your shoulder and was named Nugget. No feathers, no openings in the chicken wire, no blood, no sign of her in the woods, absolutely nothing it was as if she just vanished into thin air.

Before our chicken went missing we also had been noticing that the chickens water and food seemed to be mysteriously disappearing, but just did not put two and two together.

Since Nugget showed up missing of course we made sure to close the doors to the coop at night to prevent any other loss and then put a game camera up so we could identify the predator and see just how was it getting into the coop.

55637_sunp0008.jpg

Here you can see how he got in, a small opening under the coop that I just missed when building the run, how did I miss that one?

55637_sunp0011.jpg

55637_sunp0010.jpg

I have now blocked the opening with chicken wire and tonight setting a trap to catch the little burglar, wish me luck!

Chicken wire does not stop coons! If you don't want to loose everything, change out all the wire to 1/2" hardware cloth including the roof openings and eaves, The only thing chicken wire does is stop the chickens from getting away from the coon and if you ask, the coon he appreciates the gesture. Don't worry, the coon will be back for another meal till the food runs out and may bring friends and family along.

I used 5 ft welded wire kennel fence over top of chickwire. Then I made 15inch long rebar stakes with a hook on the top to hook the fence and wire. I drove them in every two feet. Never had a break in. I also lock the birds up at night plus the dog being around pretty much keeps every thing away. I also have a live trap out 24/7 just in case one come looking for a easy meal.

We have foxes and coons in our area and on one of our coops only have chicken wire, two years now and only one loss to a predator and that was a young chicken left out alone. So for us chicken wire has worked wonders. For my neighbors as well. They have had chickens with no run just free range and lost them all, now they have chicken wire and no losses. Just saying.

Carolyn

Then, honeydoll, you've just been lucky, darn lucky. If you search this section, you'll find many pics of huge holes ripped in chicken wire by coyotes, dogs, coons, etc. and sad stories galore.

Chicken wire is fine for dividing breeder pens, making interior coop divider walls, fine for lining stronger 2x4 welded wire fencing, but not strong enough on its own to keep out a determined predator. It's made for keeping chickens where you want them to be, not for keeping predators out.

And, in case you didn't know, a raccoon can pull part of an unsuspecting chicken through those 1" openings and eat it a bite at a time-plenty of documentation of that happening. The bird comes over to investigate those waving fingers and BAM!, the coon has your bird. Not a pleasant death, to be sure. Just trying to save someone future heartache.
wink.png

I am sorry for your loss. The chicken wire needs to go. That stuff is not worth the time it takes to unroll it as far as protection for the birds. If you traps and catch that coon, there will be more. The food source has been discovered and while it is there, it and friends will return.

Good luck to you.

Quote:
Well you have been very lucky, rare. Do you also have tons of rabbits in your area. There has to be a reason they have not found your buffet yet. Good continued luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom