predators are killing my chix, I need to find them another home

leander34452

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 12, 2008
Inverness, FL
Last week I lost my beautiful Amy - we were having a bad thunderstorm and all the chix were in the cedar trees. I always put my hens and one little banty rooster that cannot fly well into a huge dog crate at night for protection. The others are in the tops of the trees and can fly on the roof of the house if a predator tries to get them. Since it was raining, I thought they would be ok until bedtime. I went out about 10 PM and Amy was gone, just feathers on the ground. The others were ok. I heard not a sound. My brittany will bark if anything is going on out there but the thunder kept her from hearing anything. I feel so bad about Amy. She would eat out of my hand. Last night I put my other hen and the little banty in the big crate and at 4AM I heard screams. I ran out and they were both safe in the crate but something had grabbed the little guy and his feathers were all over, in and out of the crate. I just cannot put them through this anymore. They are so sweet and defenseless and I have to find a safe haven for them. We have a wildlife park in Crystal River but they do not take chickens. I cannot put them where they would wind up as soup. Today the hen was on the nest and the little banty was in there with her "grooming" her feathers. I have 2 other roosters and a big white leghorn hen that flys all over the place. I have never laid a hand on her. I would like to find a safe place for all 5 of them, but at least the 2 vulnerable ones. I live in Inverness, FL.
Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you. (I am surrounded by woods and the state forest is a block away)(My husband had a stroke and so we cannot build a safe coop)

You need to lock them up securely at night. No matter who you give them to, the same will need to happen. predators are everywhere including on the beaches in Florida. Rather than give them up, provide a safe place for them...tree tops and dog crates without a protected run are pretty useless in any environment. You could build a secure coop or put them in the garage at night.

Sorry about your loss of Amy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom