Predators eating better than my family...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sanchoman, Jun 14, 2011.

1. sanchoman

sanchoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    I have been setting a trap RELIGIOUSLY for the last 12 days...

Every morning I wake up to empty cans of catfood, sardines, tuna and 1/2 a bag of marshmellows.

I have put the food way in the back so he needs to enter to get it.
    I have TIED it with 25 lb fishing line to the cage.
    I have dug a hole under the cage, rebarred it in place and put a cinder block on top. - Gave up on this one as the food never was taken but ants got bad.

Every single morning... I wake up and the food is gone and the trap is empty!

A couple nights I hung outside with a barrel fire going and I saw a sly fox hanging out... I shot at it but missed. Could a fox sneak in and out with the can? Could this be a coon? A cat?

13 days ago I didn't lock up the coop and found a headless chicken next to the fence... so I have been suspecting a coon.

This predator is eating a high quality protein diet.. that's for sure!

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I would build A SMALL BOX OUT OF HARDWARE CLOTH AND JUST WIRE IT TO THE TRIGGER sounds like someone relocated one for you and educated it [​IMG]

3. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Foxes and raccoon are very smart. I have no suggestions, but I do wish you luck and successful hunting...

[​IMG]

4. sanchoman

sanchoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    Can you describe a little more in detail what you mean by building a box and wiring it to the trigger?

The foot trigger is never tripped and the swing gate is always open so he's stepping over the trigger.

5. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Quote:I think its reaching over it with its mouth LOL! Sounds to me like a fox to me or as stated, one very trap saavy coon!

6. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

May I suggest a giant drop trap?
    use a 55 gallon drum and put about 8-10" water in the bottom. float your bait on a chunk of Styrofoam. anything that jumps in will not be able to jump out as the water acts like a set of brakes to the jumping action. fox, coon, opposum, etc will be trapped. make sure there's a fence or something near by they can climb in from.

7. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Look at how the trigger works and play with it till it take slightly more than a tough to set it off. The drag of the trigger may be the issue. Also look at the wire openingings in the sides of the trap, is a coon simply reaching thru the wire and grabbing handfulls of bait?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by