Predators/ when it is a snake

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lisa Hodel-Brewster, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Lisa Hodel-Brewster

Lisa Hodel-Brewster New Egg

Oct 7, 2008
    How do you deal with a predator when it is a snake? How can you keep them out of the coop?

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I put snake away around the coop and run. I've never seen a snake. I also use 1/2 inch hardware cloth.

I haven't had any predators so far.

Good Luck

3. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Put light bulbs in the nest. The snake can't tell the difference between an egg and a light bulb after the hen has sat on it. They smell the same.

Golf balls are round, and the snake can regurgitate them, but light bulbs seem to hang up in there.

Good Luck,

Rufus

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

A friend of mine takes a roll of flight netting and cuts pieces of it and then lays it around the outside of her barn. When the snakes travel over it trying to get to the barn they get tangled. See....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  5. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    EEEW! I hate snakes!

6. Poulets De Cajun

You and me both Sista! The only snakes I like are the dead ones...

BTW.... I'd have to have your feed bill! LOL (I was just reading all your animules...)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  7. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I hate to have my feed bill, too. I will be slimming down the numbers soon. We are raising our own meat so some are due to go. The chickens all stay, but some turkeys, ducks, both pigs and a sheep will be out within the month. The chickens are already down by 12 RIR. We have a couple rabbits going to auction this weekend, too. We had to make sure of fertility before deciding on a buck to keep and check mothering skills to choose 2 does. We've got that figured now. We have 12 four week old rabbits as well.

My name is Kimberly and I have a farming problem.....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  8. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by