Prefab coops that (mostly) don't suck under $1000

Pics

ChickenOfSpades

Chirping
Apr 23, 2022
Lehi, Utah
I'll eventually build something awesome, but can't right now for various reasons. Realistically it may be a year or two before I build a big permanent coop, I would love some recommendations on decent prefab coops under $1k. Here are some criteria I'm looking for:
  • Coop+run big enough for 4 chickens.
  • All 4 were brooded together, if that matters. All 4 are relatively docile breeds.
  • It will never have more than 4 chickens living in it.
  • They may live in there mostly full time. They'll be let out when possible, but I want enough space in case it's needed.
  • Something that will hold up pretty well to the high desert hot summers and cold winters of the intermountain west (at least for a few years)
  • Ideally under $1000
  • I've seen lots of great creative ideas for converting sheds and such. Those are cool, but for now I'm just shopping for prefabs.
I know pefabs are generally too small for their listed capacity, so I'm going on size rather than advertised capacity. Here are a handful of candidates I found already. I'd love additional recommendations and comments about these options.

Candidate 1
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/precision-xl-superior-construction-annex-coop-37077d

Pros:
-It has 40 sq ft of run space.
-I estimate it has ~20 sq ft of coop space
-My kids would have a blast painting it

Cons:
-It looks like half of the run space is crawlspace under the coop.

Candidate 2:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...bhouse-Coop-w-Run-up-to-4-chickens-p1167.aspx

Pros:
-Seems to meet the space per chicken rule of thumb
-Wire mesh floor included to help with rodents and predators
-Can add additional prefab runs if wanted.
-Seems to have and well thought out features

Cons:
-Not sure how the wood roof will hold up in my climate

Candidate 3:
https://www.urbannorthern.com/collections/coops/products/the-farmhouse-limited

Pros:
-Space and height
-I like this style of coop
-Big access door

Cons:
Shipping isn't included in price, which puts it right at over over the $1000 mark.

Hello and welcome! If you can include your location that will help the folks here help you. I’m in the desert so what works for me certainly won’t work for someone In Wisconsin etc.

None of the options you posted have a big enough run. Four chickens in any of those will have you cleaning up all the time, and inclement weather will be a pain. The birds may get grumpy because they can’t spread out, which leads to fighting and other issues. You might consider just a prefab basic coop inside of a larger run you purchase separately. Anything with a crawl space under the coop will have you getting under it to retrieve eggs most likely.

If these are your only options I would select the one that you add more run space to and be prepared to tarp some of that run space for protection from sun and weather. Also important with avian influenza going around.

I have a different model of prefab coop, but most are pretty similarly built. Mine had been in use a year before coming into my possession late July 2021.

The roof was rotting out and had to be replaced. There is no water proof place to put feed when it rains. The roost bars are the same height as the nests, meaning lots of poopy eggs for awhile and moving pullets to the roost night after night. Nothing is sturdy enough to attach anything else to. And no the barrel locks are starting to break. Not to mention inadequate ventilation and not enough room to add any.

A prefab will cost much more than it's list price after repairs and modifications are made.

What climate are you in? That affects how much of the year your chickens can use the run, which affects how important coop size is.

In some climates, the hens really do use the enclosed coop only for sleeping and laying eggs, and spend all their days in the run. Most prefab coops will sort-of work in such climates (or if you put the entire thing inside a big climate-controlled building.)

But in most climates, there are lots of days when the hens need to spend their time inside the coop, so it needs to be much bigger. Most prefab coops are not large enough for chickens to spend time inside while they are awake.

I know pefabs are generally too small for their listed capacity, so I'm going on size rather than advertised capacity.
The common rule of thumb is 4 square feet per hen in the coop, and 10 square feet per hen in the run. That allows for hens to spend entire days in the coop if needed, although they aren't too happy about it. In a harsh climate, you should allow even more coop space than that.

That would require 16 square feet of space in the coop, and 40 square feet of space in the run.

That coop space means actual space they can walk around, not space used for nestboxes. A walk-in coop with raised nestboxes allows the hens to use the floor under the nests. A raised coop with the nestboxes at the same level as the floor does not allow that.

Candidate 1
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/precision-xl-superior-construction-annex-coop-37077d

Pros:
-It has 40 sq ft of run space.
-I estimate it has ~20 sq ft of coop space
I would estimate the coop space a bit smaller than that, because it's less than half of the total footprint. Also, the nestboxes are part of that "coop" space, which further reduces how much is usable by the hens.

I think it is the biggest of the three you listed (definitely run, and probably coop as well.) So it's probably better than the other two, although I would still aim for bigger yet.

Cons:
-It looks like half of the run space is crawlspace under the coop.
I notice that is the case for every one you listed.

Candidate 2:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...bhouse-Coop-w-Run-up-to-4-chickens-p1167.aspx

Pros:
-Seems to meet the space per chicken rule of thumb

According to the dimensions, it does NOT provide enough space for 4 hens.
Quote from the website:

Dimensions​

Exterior dimensions: 81" wide x 33.5" deep x 50.4" tall, at peak
Interior dimensions, house: 25.6" wide x 25.6" deep, excluding nest box
Interior dimensions, nest box: 12" wide x 21.6" deep x 14" at highest (12" high at lowest)
Included run dimensions: 68.5" wide x 27.25" deep x 38.5" high.
Run height under house: 15.75" high
Add-on Run dimensions: 42" wide x 27.25" deep x 38.5" high

That works out to a house size about 4 square feet, and a run size of just over 12 square feet (without add-on run.)

So it's big enough for one hen, not four.

I think this is the worst of the three you listed, and I would not consider it.

Dimensions include:
Overall dimensions 77.5" long 53.5" wide including nest box
House portion is 26" x 53.5" with the roosting bars going the width of the interior.

So if you subtract the nestbox width, the coop and run are both narrower than those dimensions.

Their coop dimensions would work out to 9.5 square feet, but since part of that is nestbox, it's actually smaller.

I cannot find the actual width of the run, but even their overall dimensions would make less than 30 square feet. (And the run is smaller than that, because it is skinnier than the "including nestbox" measurement.)

I would not get this one either.

You might consider this one:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-extra-large-sentinel-chicken-coop-mfc-ls

I do not know about the quality of construction, but it comes very close to having enough space.

Foraging or Run Area Length 81.1 in.
Foraging or Run Area Width 68.7 in.

That makes 38.5 square feet of run.

I'm having trouble finding the coop dimensions on the site, but one of the comments says,
"The coop itself is 18.82 square feet, and the overall product is 55.6 square feet you can also refer to the manual on the TSC website."

For this coop (unlike the others) the nestboxes are raised, so the hens can use the space underneath them. That means the coop does have enough square feet of space.

So if you must buy a prefab coop, I would probably buy that one.
I would still add additional run space if possible, but I think this is more workable than most other prefab coops.

I agree, knowing your location would help because climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

@NatJ has done an excellent job of analyzing the links you provided so I won't repeat.

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
4 hens
  • 16 square feet in the coop. 4'x4' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber.
  • 4 feet of roost
  • 40 square feet in the run. 4'x10' or 5'x8'. 6'x6' is a bit too small, 6'x8' is more generous and easier to build than 5'x8'.
  • 4 square feet of ventilation. A 2'x2' window is theoretically enough, but in practice doesn't create any air FLOW so better to spread the venting around (and even better to exceed the minimums, especially in warm climates).
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
If you want to see a coop that was specifically designed to meet all the minimums for 4 hens and get a good idea what you need to look for check here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

Unfortunately, with current lumber and labor prices I don't think you could get a handyman to build it for under $1000. :(

From what I've seen, if you carefully look only at the actual size -- remembering that they count the nests in their measurements so you have to subtract a foot -- the OverEZ coops seem to be better built than most prefabs. However, they are WOEFULLY short of ventilation so you'll have to make alterations to provide proper airflow.

Airflow Crayon.png

I'll eventually build something awesome, but can't right now for various reasons. ...
Can you possibly build something that is not awesome? I think we could help you design something much better than these options that is easy to build and maybe within budget, too. Or within budget and maybe easy to build.

Possibly also attractive enough for suburbia... I have few ideas....

Do you already have a vision for your permanent coop? If there is anything you could do now that would integrate into that in anyway, that could prove helpful.

The Eglu coops have fans and haters around here. They would have some advantages:
1) you could use it later for isolating sick birds, etc.
2) when you get the permanent coop, it would still have decent resale value. Whereas most prefabs, if they are falling apart will have very little use/value to them.

The Formex Large would be another candidate for the same reasons;
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...MIkeTf3um29wIVxP_jBx3UBA3kEAQYAiABEgJJ2vD_BwE

Again, not necessarily great solutions. But, after a year I wouldn't be surprised if you could get 1/2 your money back or more on Craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom