Prefab structure?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BuddyT, Sep 15, 2011.

1. BuddyT

BuddyT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Has anyone tried to convert a prefab structure or shed from some place like lowes into a chicken/duck coop? Im thinking of a wooden 8xb or 8x10... I thought it would be neat.... easy to clean...

What are your thoughts?

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]

Lots of people have take a look at the coop page.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

I am using Dog kennel panels.... but then mostly wire coops are predominant here in the desert. Though with recent predator issues I am reconsidering.....

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The main issue would be ventilation. You'd need to cut large openings in the walls.

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be done very easily! A LOT of people have done this as well. Especially if you don't want to build the main structure. All you'll have to do is cut out your windows and vents, and you'll be set. Be sure to read up on venting as you'll need plenty. I just bought floor vents at Lowes and am installing them up high in the eaves. Then I have plenty of vents on the other walls too. Check out your Habitat ReStore locally and find a great deal on windows. I bought two windows for $5 a piece! I still need to sand them down and re-paint... but totally worth it! You will also find knobs, doors, hinges, handles... all kinds of things at the ReStore. Some of it is new, just whatever a contractor is getting rid of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by