Preferred Layers or Best Layers

We havea flock of half Red Stars and Half Black Stars. They lay fairly well. Usually they lay great but just lately have slowed down. I'm not sure which of the two breeds are laying better for us. The eggs are great! We get amazing compliments from our customers. We can never keep up with the egg demand. We have a new group of chicks that are a wide variety of breeds. They should be laying sometime in April. Hopefully we will be able to keep up with the egg sales after that.

Well my black leghorn and white leghorn both came from a local feed store who gets them from a local breeder that raises only their cockrells for hackle... fly tying company. Anyway as far as productive she lays a little less frequent than the white... I think I get 5 from her a week where the white I get 6 some times 7 a week. Still VERY good and large eggs, haven't gotten an extra large from her but that's fine with me.
She does spook if you walk in the coop and she's on the nest but go to the yard with raisins and shes right there with the others hoppin up on your shoulder.

Hi--- I noticed you are in mid Wisconsin--- I would suggest Black Australorps--- they are very cold hardy, sweet personality and very dependable layers--- I get an egg 5-6 days a week from all my Aussies--- so far they have been very consistent.

Mahonri,
Those black stars lay white eggs? Do the chicks breed true?

kelidei,
I am up in the Woodruff area. I am considering a project and need white egg layers so the Australorps will not work.

(Trying to make a hy-breed between black/blue/splash Ameraucana and a productive white egg layer. Exploring yet.. Looking at some of the colored leghorns as candidates.) White would be a no brainer, but I am concerned the super dominant white gene will take away from the blue egg color.

ON

Last edited:
Quote:
I guess I missed that part about the white egg layers --- doh! But your project sounds very interesting--- good luck and keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom