Pregnant and have chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Love my Critters!, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I just found out my husband and I are expecting out 2nd child. I have never been pregnant while having chickens. Are there any dangers? We all practice safe handling and wash our hands, but I didn't know if there is anything I should avoid like with cats and cleaning the litter box. You aren't even suposed to breathe it. Also I have a hen in the house who has something going on with her eyes. Should I stay away from her or is it okay?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    AS long as you're washing your hands and changing your shoes when you come in, I really can't imagine you being in jeopardy. Hystoplasmosis would be my biggest concern and you can always wear a face mask. Talk to your ob to ease your concerns.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I was pregnant with my daughter when I had chickens and never had a problem. Always wash your hands after handling them and chores. Wear masks when cleaning out coop.

Go for it!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I had chickens thru 3 pregnancies and never had a problem. Just be sure and wash your hands like you should anyway, pregnant or not. This is a good time for your hubby to unload the feed bags!! Probably the only time mine did it in 35 years of marriage and chickens!! [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hah, my suggestion would be the exact opposite of dichotomymom's -- to ease your concerns and stay realistic, DON'T talk to your OB, especially not about chickens [​IMG] There is a very strong tendency (oddly mostly just in the US and to a lesser extent Canada, not, for instance, nearly so much in the UK or Europe) for doctors to view pregnancy as something abnormal, unusual and unlikely to turn out properly unless you seal yourself into a bubble. As opposed to, you know, pregancy being something that women have done, for hundreds of thousands of years, mostly without any ob/gyns around at all, with surprisingly high success rate [​IMG] And my observation is that doctors usually regard animals of any kind as being viciously dangerous cesspools of deathly germs with no redeeming value. How many Drs have told people to get rid of their cats or dogs just because they're having a baby? As if that's something a doctor should get a vote on. Harrumph [​IMG]

Anyhow, wash your hands well after handling chickens, that's about it. Honest. Rare risks like listeria or histoplasmosis are EXCEEDINGLY EXCEEDINGLY rare and your chances of getting them from something else are far higher (although still exceedingly small) than getting them from chickens.

If you're still concerned, do a buncha reading and educate yourself about different relative risks, and make YOUR OWN educated decision. It's not your ob/gyn's pregnancy, it's YOURS [​IMG]

And, congratulations!!!!!! [​IMG]

Pat (4 pregnancies, ended up with 2 kids, BIG advocate of midwives [​IMG])

6. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    Congratulations on the pregnancy!!! I have no input other than that. Just wanted to say Happy for you!!

7. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Maybe you can use it as an excuse for your hubby to do all the chicken chores for you? [​IMG]

8. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    In my opinion, just wash hands well and wear a mask while cleaning the coop due to the dust and you'll be fine. There have been millions of pregnant women over the years that have fed their chickens and done other farm chores.
    Congratulations!!!!! Being a Mother is the best job in the world!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by