Pregnant rabbit doe not eating..Why??? UPDATE!

miss_thenorth

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
SW Ont, Canada
She ahsn't touched her food since I fed her last night. She seems healthy, nothing has changed in her routine etc. She's due around the 5th april. Should I be conerned? Is there anything I can do?

8 healthy happy tiny buns in a nest of fur. Momma and babies are doing fine! Thanks to all who colmed my fears and gave me suggestions!

Last edited:
She has drank a bit, but not much. I will keep an eye on her. If this is normal for them to stop eating, usually, when do they stop before kindling? My other does ate all the way up to kindle date. This is her first litter. I will put a nest box up in the morning, or should I do it now?

now, hind sight is 20/20
wink.png

Check her water. Are you getting from a different source? If she's drinking from a water bottle, check the nozzle. Make sure she can get the water out easily. If she's not getting enough water, she's not going to be eating. You may need to take it apart to check it out and fix it. (Thinking water valve stuck/dirty)

Check your feed. Is it a new bag? Old bag? Dusty? New brand? How does it smell? Sweet? Is it green, not gray? What's the mill date? (Thinking bad feed/change in feed)

Is she getting hay? (Thinking fur block) You can give her papaya, pineapple, pineapple juice, or Petromalt (for cat hairballs).

All those things might make a rabbit go off feed.

Do a external health check, including teeth, to check for any hidden problems.

Did you palpate her? All my does go off their feed the day before they kindle. If there is ANY chance she was with a buck (you tried to breed but though she missed), I'd put that box in there. It can't hurt.

Quote:
I just came back in from putting a nest box up.

Kay--just cleaned their waterers today. All in good working order.--fresh water. I have two other does and a buck. Checked her water compared to the others. It seems she has drank about the same amount as the others.

Feed--near bottom of bag. thing is, all the rest have eaten their food. She hasn't had any hay.

I fed her at about 8:30 tonight--there was still food in her bowl (or whatever you call it) from the night before. I fed the others and her, and while I was just there, she still hasn't touched it, where the other buns have.

She was bred on March 5 at 8:45 am , and then again at 4:30 same day. so she should kindle April 4-5. they mated, I removed her, and then put her back in again and they rebred. No access to the buck after the mating. She is a Californian.

i wouldnt worry too much. when i breed mine they eat less around that time. Sometimes they also will eat a bunch one day and nothing the next while pregnant. If you are really worried try putting treats or veggies in that she will like better than her usual food and will be healthy for her. Carrots or greens are good and i know all my buns LOVE just plain dry oats (quaker oats right out of the container)- i just mix it with their food or put over the top.
Good Luck!!

Thanks Tay, cuz still she hasn't eaten anything. I cleaned out her water again, and gave her fresh food--nothing. but she IS drinking. (I witnessed it).

Wasn't sure on whether to give her the treats, but I will try something just to get her eating again. She still has a week to go, and I don't want the babes to suffer. I'll mix some oatmeal in with her food to see if that entices her.

I did put in a nest box last night--she doesn;'t seem impressed with it. She hasn't started pulling fur--so I know she's not gonnna go early. (and no reason to--her breeding was standard).

Hopefully everything works out fine.
I'll keep you posted.

give her half a banana, skin and all . she might be low on potassium.
banana is a sweet treat and good for them at the same time, especially where she is close to kindle.

some does will slow down the feed intake if there is going to be a large litter. when there are a lot of babies in there, the tummy gets kinda squished leaving very little room for food.

Back
Top Bottom