Pregnant Women around Chickens???

Bologna Xpress

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 10, 2009
Are there any issues I should be aware of since my wife is now 6 months pregnant and planning on helping with the chickens we want to get this spring? I did a Google search and could not find anything.

Opinions please

I would make sure she doesn't clean the coop, That could kick up some nasty stuff in their poo. Kinda like no cleaning cat boxes while pregnant because of the ammonia in their urine. I could be wrong but better to be safe than sorry. Congrats to you on the baby
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thats funny you sad that
gig.gif
When I got pregnant with my son, my healthy dwarf bunny died. "Buster" was only 2 yrs. I was not going to tell my family for a little while , but in conversation at a family party, my daughter mentioned that her bunny died and my uncle looked at me, came over and kissed me and said "congratulations". That spooked me for some time. As far as chicken care while pregnant, my Doctor told me just not to clean the coop and wear a mask when going in there to feed and water. Wash hands well etc. I guess its the same as caring for any animal while pregnant. Here's where you get hubby to do all the dirty work for a while
thumbsup.gif

As long as she doesn't stay a long time in a confinement I see no problems, but I'm not a doctor. Have her ask her doctor. All I can say is keep her away from rabbits, people in her condition has been known to kill rabbits!!!
lol.png
I hope everyone knows what i am talking about.
wink.png

The reason that I have my flock is because of my need to "nest" during my last pregnancy! Granted, I only have 8 birds, but I built the house and coop for my girls and raised them without any problems....and now my 7 month old daughter loves to sit outside and watch her feathered friends.
big_smile.png

I wouldnt worry about it. Pregnant women were tending chickens long before we came along. Just observe all the usual guidelines about cleanliness.

What Akane said (about *everything*, including the catbox).

Like anyone, she should wash her hands after being in the coop. But, no big deal whatsoever.

Pat, who got her first chickens when 8 months pregnant with DS#2, who has turned out to be quite the chicken aficionado - coincidence, or not? <g>

Goodness! Pregnant women have been around chickens for thousands of years, and it doesn't seem to have had any effect of slowing the growth of human population!
big_smile.png

Traditionally, women and children have been the chicken-minders, and you still see it in rural villages around the world. My grandmothers and great-grandmothers and so on all cared for their family flock, when they were pregnant, shortly after giving birth, and always.

Normal good hygiene is the rule whenter working around livestock and poultry, or even around the house, and everywhere.

I strongly second GardenerGal' statement!!! Normal good hygiene is the rule everywhere!!!!

I recently saw where only 30% or so of Americans wash their hands after using the rest room, and has me totally horrified and grossed out!! And it's not just men either so we women don't have anything to brag about! Well, ok, maybe we can brag, but not about this. Heh.

I'm not a germaphobe, but that statistic makes me think I should consider it, those people are looking at fruit in the grocery store that I'm buying! *goes to modify her garden seed order and draw a bigger garden plan* I know that's not a perfect number, it may be better or worse, but it is still aweful!!

Sorry to hijack, I agree, other than heavy duty cleaning, normal day to day stuff should be fine, even spot cleaning. Just not stirring up the heavy dust and/or fumes, or heavy lifting either of course. Common sense rules!

Back
Top Bottom