1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Premature molting :( help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gigglebox, May 31, 2016.

1. Gigglebox

Gigglebox Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    I live in central VA, and we recently had about 3 weeks straight of rain. This meant a whole lot of cloud coverage, and consequently loss of daylight. As it turns out, this weather event has triggered fall molting (loss of flight feathers) in at least half the flock.

Because we are about to go into summer, will the ducks stop laying as long as they would have if it was winter?

I am so upset, this is our first year as a business and our customers aren't too thrilled. Artificial light didn't do the trick :(

I just want to know when we can expect them (or hope for them) to start laying again.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, mercy, that's just the last thing you need, but from what I have seen, molt means no eggs till the feathers come back.

You might be able to help things along by giving a tablespoon of quality cat kibble to each duck as a treat each day, to add protein and vitamins, helping get the new feathers in and just as a general boost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by