Premature Newborn goat, HELP!!

caresforgoats

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Just recently, we found a premature newborn goat that was rejected by its mother, and left for dead. We took it in, and within the first day fed it a tube of colostrum. It weighs *maybe* 3 pounds, and we've been keeping it outside on the back porch, on a towel. It can stand and walk around on its own, but it seems to have a neurological issue, as its back left leg cannot bend easily and drags a bit; He walks on his tip of his hoof with that leg. We've been feeding it a mix made from powdered milk that was given to us for newborn goats, which we've just recently began to heat up a little bit as I heard that helps them digest it. This morning Tut (what we named him) was very lethargic and weak, barely able to stand on his own and having a hard time walking. Is there anything we can do to make it easier on him? Any suggestions that we might have missed? Thanks guys, much appreciated

Make sure he is staying warm, we use a light or heating pad. You can also try drenching with some goat nutri-drench or a tiny amount of coffee. He may need a little boost.

Ok, I'll try that. I've also heard to put a little bit a syrup on his lips for energy. Might I add that we have never taken care of a goat before, but no one else will take him in.

K, his back left leg is twitching sporadically, and he is unable to stand on it now. I think that this is just going downhill, and there isnt anything I can do about it.

Well he needs milk that is very warm as this will help him hold his body heat and digest the milk better. He sounds like he needs a Bo-se shot as this will help his leg. Also he need MILK not powdered milk or replacer. Is he pooping and peeing? What is his temp? What type of goat is he?
I dont feed my babies colder milk till they are 3 mths old. His normal body temp should be 102 . His milk need to be this warm also or a tad less. I would give his a tad of banamine as it sounds like he needs it and some Dex also. These are something you can get from the vet if you dont have them. The Dex is for swelling and the banamine is for pain and will help if he ahs a temp or lung problems.
I wouldnt give him Karo unless he is stopped up. If he is scouring its the replacer and it just goes straight thru them. So he is basically starving. If you dont have goats milk give him whole cows milk from the store. Whole Vitamin D milk, not skim...I hope this helps some and if by chance you have any CD antitoxin I would give his 10 cc's orally. The other meds are injections.

If you dont have goats milk give him whole cows milk from the store. Whole Vitamin D milk, not skim...I hope this helps some and if by chance you have any CD antitoxin I would give his 10 cc's orally. The other meds are injections.

Milk from the store is homogenized, wouldn't that affect digestion?​

We'll it looks as if his hip is out of joint, like he damaged it somehow. He walk like a dog that has a thorn in its paw, the back left leg is off of the ground and he can barely walk. The powdered milk isnt just something we made, its made specifically for goats. It is called Unimilk, multi-purpose instantized milk replacer, which is a milk replacer for calves, foals, goat kids, pigs, and puppies. And actually, after checking with some friends, I found that it is a *Barbados* sheep, not a goat. So I was misinformed. Maybe that makes a difference.

The best thing to do with milk replacer, any milk replacer, is to just not use it. Baby goats do fine on whole milk from the store. Baby sheep would too, but sheep produce a higher butterfat milk than goats. A good formula is to take a gallon of store milk, pour off about a quart, add a cup of buttermilk and one can of evaporated milk to the jug. Then fill the jug back up with some of the milk you poured off. When I had preemies, I would put a disposable baby diaper on them and put them in a box with towels and wrap them in a baby quilt. The diaper will keep the baby dry which is very important. The quilt kept the body heat in. Sometimes I would use a heating pad but you have to be careful that you don't get the baby too hot. Dex will help the lungs mature.

He cant stand, he's having diarrhea, and he cant even lift his head up off of the ground. He has been like this for over 10 hours. I think the best thing to do now would be to have the vet put him to sleep. It's a small mercy, to having him suffer like this for days on end.

Back
Top Bottom