Premier-1 Poultry Fencing - WARNING

@Tre3hugger, @3KillerBs, @DobieLover, @Alaskan, and @addctd2plnts-
How do I make my fencing electric, yet safe for poultry? (links to products?)
Is it strong enough to kill the poultry?

I’m sick of the chickens getting into the flower garden…
Now I’m looking to make my fencing electric.

Any help is appreciated.

This is what I have: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/poultrynet-plus-48-inch-starter-kit?cat_id=160

It will not kill your poultry and they will not get tangled if you keep it electrified and, most importantly, keep it TIGHT.

Unfortunately, chicks up to a certain age can pop right through it and they don't get shocked because they jump up off the ground to do it -- so they aren't grounded. :D

I wouldn't use that fencing at all. Chickens are pacers. When they come to a fence, they pace until they find a big enough hole to attempt to go through. With holes that big, they'll attempt to go through and this get stuck. (I had a hen get stuck in pallet because she thought she could fit through.) Maybe with it electric, the hens will learn, but I'd still not want to use it just because chickens are pacers.

I'm glad you got your hen free. But how you cut it, would that effect how the fencing works once turned on? If it rains with it on, could it become deadly or a fire hazard?

This is what I have: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/poultrynet-plus-48-inch-starter-kit?cat_id=160

It will not kill your poultry and they will not get tangled if you keep it electrified and, most importantly, keep it TIGHT.

Unfortunately, chicks up to a certain age can pop right through it and they don't get shocked because they jump up off the ground to do it -- so they aren't grounded. :D
Is there a way to buy just the charger? With the solar panel.
I have the fencing. But I just need a poultry safe charger.

But how you cut it, would that effect how the fencing works once turned on? If it rains with it on, could it become deadly or a fire hazard?

The poultry netting comes with a repair kit and instructions for it's repair.

It's perfectly safe in the rain. Why wouldn't it be?

This article will clear up a LOT of misconceptions about electric fence -- which is used successfully to hold millions of individual livestock animals all over the world. :)

Is there a way to buy just the charger? With the solar panel.
I have the fencing. But I just need a poultry safe charger.

Premier 1 sells all the components separately as well as in kits. They have excellent customer service -- I've emailed them many times and gotten good information.

Premier 1 sells all the components separately as well as in kits. They have excellent customer service -- I've emailed them many times and gotten good information.
Do you have any idea where I can find the customer support email? I will try emailing them.

This article will clear up a LOT of misconceptions about electric fence -- which is used successfully to hold millions of individual livestock animals all over the world. :)
Link?

I have never had a chicken killed or injured with my electric netting from Premiere1. I have seen a chicken hit a hot wire with its comb, wattles, or beak (not sure which) while it was standing on the ground and pecking at grass in the netting and get shocked. It jumped up and back about 3 feet, squawked, and went back to eating.

I don't do bantams. My chicks can get through the netting until they are about 7 or 8 weeks old. Most of them don't but they can. It's just something I live with. It's never been a serious problem but the potential for a problem is there. The chicks' feathers insulate them but their head or feet can conduct electricity. For the circuit to be complete they have to touch a hot wire at the same time they are touching a ground. What happens with the young chicks they jump up to a larger opening to go through and don't touch the soil at the same time as they touch a hot wire. With the netting the soil is the ground. An electric fence can be different as far as the ground.

One of the safety features of the netting and electric fencing is that it pulses instead of having a steady current. It will pulse about 50 times a minute. That gives the critter or a person the chance to turn loose. The instinctive reaction is to turn loose and jump back. They could not turn loose of a steady current which would likely kill them.

I have found critters trapped in the netting. The only "fast" critter was a frog, which died. I've had three snapping turtles that were sitting there jerking every time that current pulsed. When I turned the current off and untangled them two of them walked away and apparently lived. One died. I found a possum tangled in the netting, again jerking every time it pulsed. She died but it wasn't the electricity that killed her. But it trapped her, tangled her up. The saddest to me was a five feet long rat snake that died. It tried to get through the netting and couldn't get free. Not tangled, just could not get free. I had a deer hit the netting running and knocked it down, but that deer kept running. I could tell by the footprints that it was running.

I have no doubt that netting has prevented countless fox, coyote, dogs, raccoons and such from getting to my chickens. I saw a wondering dog touch it once. It yelped, ran about 50 feet, looked back at the netting, then kept walking away. I never saw it again.

No matter what you do in life something can happen. Even if you stay in bed all day to try to avoid anything you can get bedsores. If you are going to keep chickens things will happen. I try to minimize the bad things but I know I'll never totally eliminate them. I just do the best I can.

I have never had a chicken killed or injured with my electric netting from Premiere1. I have seen a chicken hit a hot wire with its comb, wattles, or beak (not sure which) while it was standing on the ground and pecking at grass in the netting and get shocked. It jumped up and back about 3 feet, squawked, and went back to eating.

I don't do bantams. My chicks can get through the netting until they are about 7 or 8 weeks old. Most of them don't but they can. It's just something I live with. It's never been a serious problem but the potential for a problem is there. The chicks' feathers insulate them but their head or feet can conduct electricity. For the circuit to be complete they have to touch a hot wire at the same time they are touching a ground. What happens with the young chicks they jump up to a larger opening to go through and don't touch the soil at the same time as they touch a hot wire. With the netting the soil is the ground. An electric fence can be different as far as the ground.

One of the safety features of the netting and electric fencing is that it pulses instead of having a steady current. It will pulse about 50 times a minute. That gives the critter or a person the chance to turn loose. The instinctive reaction is to turn loose and jump back. They could not turn loose of a steady current which would likely kill them.

I have found critters trapped in the netting. The only "fast" critter was a frog, which died. I've had three snapping turtles that were sitting there jerking every time that current pulsed. When I turned the current off and untangled them two of them walked away and apparently lived. One died. I found a possum tangled in the netting, again jerking every time it pulsed. She died but it wasn't the electricity that killed her. But it trapped her, tangled her up. The saddest to me was a five feet long rat snake that died. It tried to get through the netting and couldn't get free. Not tangled, just could not get free. I had a deer hit the netting running and knocked it down, but that deer kept running. I could tell by the footprints that it was running.

I have no doubt that netting has prevented countless fox, coyote, dogs, raccoons and such from getting to my chickens. I saw a wondering dog touch it once. It yelped, ran about 50 feet, looked back at the netting, then kept walking away. I never saw it again.

No matter what you do in life something can happen. Even if you stay in bed all day to try to avoid anything you can get bedsores. If you are going to keep chickens things will happen. I try to minimize the bad things but I know I'll never totally eliminate them. I just do the best I can.
Thanks for taking the time to write this.
It helped tremendously!

Lots of good points! I'm also very happy with my Premier1 netting and charger. My birds have learned to avoid the net. I keep it charged at all times I'm not in the pen. Younger birds have escaped, but they generally want back in and are easy to round up.

I have not caught any critters in it yet. But my trail camera did catch a black bear the 2nd night we had chickens on the property. So far it's kept predators out for me very well.

Back
Top Bottom