Premier 1 vs. Rent a Coop Heat Plate

PineHavenMama

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
I have been learning so much in the few days since I joined this site. We had a great flock years ago, but I’m learning there’s so much more to consider then I ever knew before. After reading many of the threads here, I researched the Premier 1 heat plate as a replacement for our heat lamp. Tonight I stumbled upon the Rent a Coop brand as well. I’m planning for a 16x24 since we’ve ordered 20 eggs. Both brands seem to get good reviews and there’s not much difference at all in price. I’m just curious what type of experiences you all might have had with either of those brands and if there are opinions on whether one is better than the other.

I did research the MHP method and found it intriguing, but with other projects we have going on, my husband feels like the heat plate would be simpler. I appreciate your feedback so much.

I have 2 of the Premier Heat plates and I love them. Easily adjustable and simple to use without the fire danger of heat lamps. We set them with one set of legs lower and one set higher, then the various heights of the chicks can choose how warm they need to be. We mixed 5 day olds with 12 hour olds, we'd push the newest ones under the edge and the babies seemed to know what to do from there. We've put 4 day olds in an outdoor brooder with night time temperatures in the low 30s. Can't say enough good about them.

I have 2 of the Premier Heat plates and I love them. Easily adjustable and simple to use without the fire danger of heat lamps. We set them with one set of legs lower and one set higher, then the various heights of the chicks can choose how warm they need to be. We mixed 5 day olds with 12 hour olds, we'd push the newest ones under the edge and the babies seemed to know what to do from there. We've put 4 day olds in an outdoor brooder with night time temperatures in the low 30s. Can't say enough good about them.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I saw one thread where folks were having issues with them being too hot, but everything else I’ve read has been very positive. I can order directly from the company and get the best price I think. Not sure if I need that separate temperature adjuster they sell, but it’s on backorder anyway.

I also have two Premiers and love them. The chicks know exactly what to do. I also have the two back legs lower than the front. The only thing I would caution against is having the sides of the heat plate too close to the wall, as a chick could get stuck between the side of the plate and the wall as they try to wiggle through.

I did research the MHP method and found it intriguing, but with other projects we have going on, my husband feels like the heat plate would be simpler. I appreciate your feedback so much.
I almost killed chicks when I finally attempted MHP after over thinking and putting it off for TOO long.

I now own 2 rent a coop plates with hood on top.. I got it after researching when someone posted theirs was too hot.. and it was within stated operated guidelines.. so I considered it to be user error or lack of understanding.. ZERO issues with it being too hot. I cannot believe it took me so long to get one of these!

Price goes up and down on Amazon. See the post I just made and what's being said here..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/best-heat-plates.1445596/#post-24020974

I almost killed chicks when I finally attempted MHP after over thinking and putting it off for TOO long.

I now own 2 rent a coop plates with hood on top.. I got it after researching when someone posted theirs was too hot.. and it was within stated operated guidelines.. so I considered it to be user error or lack of understanding.. ZERO issues with it being too hot. I cannot believe it took me so long to get one of these!

Price goes up and down on Amazon. See the post I just made and what's being said here..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/best-heat-plates.1445596/#post-24020974
Oh no! How did the chicks almost die?

Back
Top Bottom