Preparing for a blizzard, any advice

chick_newbie

Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
South Dakota
I think that I have everthing covered but need any other advice someone might have.

They have changed my area from a winter weather watch to a blizzard watch. My big coop is pretty secure and draft free, thanks to dh this weekend. I can always close them up in the coop if the weather is that bad.

The smaller ones are in a pretty good coop but there are openings that will need to be covered.

Any body have any suggestions that might help???
hmm.png

maybe have some 5 gallon buckets full of water saved up in case the power goes out.

fill up their feeders to full so you don't have to make trips out to the coop during the horrible weather.

anything you can do to make it easy on yourself would be helpful, not just their comfort.

Lots and lots of shavings or hay to help the chickens stay warm. Also, do you have any heated waterers? If you can get ahold of some, I would highly recommend you do so. If not, then you could make something with a brick and a lightbulb to set the waterer on. I can't imagine trying to break the ice and keep refilling the waterers in the middle of a blizzard. BRRRRRR!

I always make sure I have extra bags of feed on hand and some scratch or grain to help keep them warm. Lots of shavings on the coop floors will really help with warmth. I always fill the feeders and waterers in the evenings so I know incase I can't make it out to the coops early on bad winter mornings they will atleast have feed and water til I can get there.

The best advice I can give is fill the feeders...have some scratch grains on hand...LOTS of bedding...and block all drafts. Maybe get a few hanging treats, if you have to have them cooped up for a few days....to stop the boredome pecking. And most of all...BE SAFE!!

:eek: I'm keeping an eye on that storm, its going to bring us some snow - but not as windy as you guys.

Our temp is dropping pretty fast - last I checked it was 27 with the wind chill.
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom