Preparing for a blizzard, any advice

I use to live in up state Illinois and we had a blizzard one year. I was working the late shift and like a fool I decided to drive home (about 30 miles) instead of getting a hotel room until morning. My employer offered to pay since I agreed to stay as other went home, so entirely my fault.
Anyway, the normal 30 minute drive took over 3 hours. There were times I was driving in the grass and didn't realize it until I hit a spot where the wind had blown the snow so the grass blades came through.
Being a stubborn headed german has it's disadvantages.

Back in 1997, my hubby and the neighbor both got stuck on the road going to town and had to wait for daylight to walk to a house. Hubby went in ditch on one side and the neighbor on the other side. They were stuck there for 3 days and only 3 miles from home! He made it home and the roads plowed luckily for me to go into preterm labor with our last child. I love living in the country usually, BUT when the weather gets bad I absolutely hate it.

Quote:
Yep luckily it the hospital where I work they would put us up but they use the rooms with no tv's or anything. That is what the in-laws are for though.

Quote:
Sad eh? My hubby's great great great grandparents had a ranch - not far from where we live now - HUNDREDS of acres. SOLD a long time ago - folks around here still know our name, and often mention the "ranch"
I really wish it was still in the family - but oh well. I did dig up a very old picture - with a horse plowing the fields up there - very cool.

"Being a stubborn headed german has it's disadvantages."

I thought that was the only way to be?!? Makes life enjoyable...
wink.png

Funny thing is, my grandparents are back in Nebraska now, buried there by choice...Trenton, Nebraska and I went to see the old farm when we buried Grandpa Henry back when I was 17, nearly 40 years ago...

We just got sucked into another weather advisory - lovely I thought we'd miss the worst of it.

Dunno if this will come out.

weatherNov5-2008.jpg

Mostly wind then, and driving/blowing snow, stay home, cook up something good to eat, have a wonderful, relaxing time, enjoy- can't do anything about it...a mini vacation so to say;)

Another shocker...my name is also your name...wonder if we're related??? pm-ing you...

Last edited:
Quote:
wow your is about like ours here

BLIZZARD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING...

A BLIZZARD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

RAIN IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP TONIGHT. AS TEMPERATURES COOL... THE RAIN SHOULD CHANGE TO SNOW FROM THE WEST THURSDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO FALL THURSDAY AFTERNOON INTO FRIDAY MORNING WITH 3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE. IN ADDITION... WINDS OF 30 TO 45 MPH WILL DEVELOP. THE COMBINATION OF FALLING SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW MAY REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO NEAR ZERO.

A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND EXTREMELY POOR VISIBILITIES. THIS CAN LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND MAKE TRAVEL VERY DANGEROUS.

Back
Top Bottom