Preparing my chickens for show?

I'm not in 4-H or FFA. I entered my chickens in the Open Junior division since I'm not an adult yet.

The judge who I was talking to told me I should breed him with one of my Blue Cochins. He said the majority of the chicks would be Partridge, but would make nice chicks. Thank you Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain!

Thank you very much! And sorry, I wasn't trying to start anything if it seemed that way. Regardless if he's show quality or not, I still love and would like to breed him one day...when I have room for more chickens, lol!

Quote:
Unfortunately, your male isn't show quality. If you breed him with your blue, most of the chicks will be a mess of colors. 50% will have the blue gene, most of which will be blue with some gold leaking out in the hackles and saddles of the males and gold lacing in the breasts of the females. You may get some that resemble a dark partridge, but with blue replacing the black.
The other 50% will not have the blue gene. Most will be black with gold bleeding through in the hackles and saddles of the males and gold lacing in the breasts of the females. You'll also likely get what looks like a dark partridge.

They would make pretty lawn ornaments, but nothing you would ever be able to show.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about his last name, but his first name is Derek. He's on this site, but mostly answers questions about quail.

The people I bought the cockerel from also had two other chickens from the same batch at the fair too. Their other Partridge Cochin cockerel got 2nd (lost to the one I bought), and a Black Cochin pullet they entered got 1st in her class.

Back
Top Bottom