Preparing Scrambled Eggs Treat for Chicks

Wanderingturtles

Chirping
Mar 12, 2023
I have 3 week old chicks, they have only been eating their starter/grower crumbled feed.
I would like to give them some scrambled eggs as treats eventually (to start) but I am unsure the best way to prepare them in the pan.

I feel I should not use butter, but am wondering if olive oil is ok to use?
What is the best way to prepare scrambled eggs for the girls? And should I introduce grit once I start giving them scrambled eggs?

Thanks in advance!

As long as you don't overdo it there is nothing wrong with using oil or butter for the scrambled eggs. If you are that concerned boil them instead of scrambling. That way you don't mix in anything.

I'm not sure they need grit for scrambled eggs. But I like giving them grit at day 2 or 3 anyway. I give them dirt from the run which introduces grit, helps strengthen their immune system, and provides probiotics if you have adult chickens out there. As a minimum getting grit in their system enables you to feed them treats even if you don't know that grit is necessary. It also has them ready in case they accidentally eat something that requires grit. It removes the stress about whether they need grit or not. Why worry about something you don't need to worry about?

As long as you don't overdo it there is nothing wrong with using oil or butter for the scrambled eggs. If you are that concerned boil them instead of scrambling. That way you don't mix in anything.

I'm not sure they need grit for scrambled eggs. But I like giving them grit at day 2 or 3 anyway. I give them dirt from the run which introduces grit, helps strengthen their immune system, and provides probiotics if you have adult chickens out there. As a minimum getting grit in their system enables you to feed them treats even if you don't know that grit is necessary. It also has them ready in case they accidentally eat something that requires grit. It removes the stress about whether they need grit or not. Why worry about something you don't need to worry about?
The girls now have grit! They’re digging it. I think I’ll let them chew on that for a couple days before I introduce treats.

All our dirt is still froze and buried under a foot of snow 😅 we have fireplace ash and potting soil form the store… you think that’s alright?

I don't know what that potting soil has in it. It is very possible no rock are there. It probably has chemicals to provide nutrients for plants. I'm not comfortable with them eating much of that and not sure if it even supplies any grit.

Wood ash is extremely alkaline with a very high pH. I'm not comfortable with them eating that any more than I would be comfortable with them eating something highly acidic.

The girls now have grit! They’re digging it. I think I’ll let them chew on that for a couple days before I introduce treats.

All our dirt is still froze and buried under a foot of snow 😅 we have fireplace ash and potting soil form the store… you think that’s alright?
Careful that they don't gorge on the grit, you can take it away after a few hours.
I wouldn't use potting mix or ash, they don't need either.

Ug, I can't even imagine my dirt frozen and under a foot of snow 😲.
But I wouldn't use any potting soils, most have fertilizer enhancement of some type and it's usually more like compost material than dirt.

Careful that they don't gorge on the grit, you can take it away after a few hours.
I wouldn't use potting mix or ash, they don't need either.
I did notice them very excited and pecking at the grit a lot. I've only been offering a small scoop about 1-2 times a day for the past 4 days

They had a scrambled egg for the first time today, the wyandotte's loved them but the leghorns weren't as crazy for them.
Regardless, it was good fun to watch :D

Back
Top Bottom