Preparing to set call and pekin duck eggs! Hatch day should be March 4, 2021 if all goes well!

I'm going to take a guess that size at hatch isn't an indicator of gender. Is that correct? The difference in size between 1 and 2 vs 3 and 4 is CRAZY
@WVduckchick
I would say not but you never know. I had an itty bitty one (Bean) that I thought would be a girl and it turned out to be a drake! :gig

Funny enough in my case it seems that the larger ones from this batch were the girls! :lol:

Aww glad 4 has hatched! I’ve had very small and very large calls from the same incubation. The small ones usually catch up. I have one right now that will be two weeks old and is itty bitty. Tallulah sounds like a feisty one! :p
Their tiny bills are beyond adorable!
Ooh yellow down! Looking foreword to seeing pictures of all of them! 🥰
I usually crush up the crumbles I give mine just to make them smaller for the first few days.
Lol that’s funny that they treat the thermometer like a throne!
I personally don’t use a thermometer I just monitor the babies and change the temp depending on their behavior. :)
I was able to candle half of the egg and see inside once #4 seemed ready. #3 & #4 were on the same side throughout incubation, so maybe that has something to do with them being so small. #1 & #2 weren't so close together (if they can be far apart in the Brinsea Maxi Advance). I was finally able to get the humidity to stay up so that's why I didn't ever move them to the NR360. I'm not sure what happened. It's like one of those things that's happening and then you mention it to someone and it fixes itself :D

I would say not but you never know. I had an itty bitty one (Bean) that I thought would be a girl and it turned out to be a drake! :gig

Funny enough in my case it seems that the larger ones from this batch were the girls! :lol:
It took a while to figure out the gender of my big ducks. Maybe 2 months but I can't remember since it's been almost 2 years ago. I have trouble letting go so I really hope it's not 1 girl and 3 drakes, but it'll be whatever it's going to be. I'm so grateful to have y'all through this extremely exciting time. The hatch was stressful but they're worth it!

I was able to candle half of the egg and see inside once #4 seemed ready. #3 & #4 were on the same side throughout incubation, so maybe that has something to do with them being so small. #1 & #2 weren't so close together (if they can be far apart in the Brinsea Maxi Advance). I was finally able to get the humidity to stay up so that's why I didn't ever move them to the NR360. I'm not sure what happened. It's like one of those things that's happening and then you mention it to someone and it fixes itself :D
I’ve done that and it helps me to judge how much longer they need.
hmm could be, I’m not sure.
Glad you got the humidity to stay up!
Yep, happens to me all the time... :gig

@FunnyfarmMidwest 2 of the ducklings for sure are Magpies, the other ones could be Snowy. I had 2 Snowy males in a breeding pen.
I have a few more possible Snowies coming up but then I swapped out the Snowy Drakes and put my Penciled Drake in. :)
Thank you for the comments on my article. :hugsIt looked pretty bare without any. ;)
I'm going to time exactly how long it takes for the membrane to dry out and I may have to edit that time is all.
I had them all marked what they were at the top of the egg! :barnieWhen I made the safety holes then I peeled it off. Going to mark the eggs at the bottom from now on....

I was just taking some feed down to the pond for the gander which I named Gander (very thoughtful and full of meaning, right? :gig) and found Queen (wild Mallard hen named for being the waddle queen, that girl can seriously twist that rear) swimming around with 7 or 8 adorable little ducklings!!! They're staying so close to her, at times almost on top of her. Thankfully Gander wasn't paying her any mind because he was hungry

@FunnyfarmMidwest 2 of the ducklings for sure are Magpies, the other ones could be Snowy. I had 2 Snowy males in a breeding pen.
I have a few more possible Snowies coming up but then I swapped out the Snowy Drakes and put my Penciled Drake in. :)
Thank you for the comments on my article. :hugsIt looked pretty bare without any. ;)
I'm going to time exactly how long it takes for the membrane to dry out and I may have to edit that time is all.
I had them all marked what they were at the top of the egg! :barnieWhen I made the safety holes then I peeled it off. Going to mark the eggs at the bottom from now on....
I thought so! Magpies are adorable! yeah the one little one does look like a snowy. The one that hatched two days late is adorable. Looks like an interesting color too! :celebrate

That’s exciting! What color would a Snowy x penciled duckling be?

Yeah of course! Great article it’s going to be very helpful for lots of call hatchers! Yeah the membrane timing would be a great addition! ❤️

oh my gosh I did that too! Or I wrote which duck the egg came from and then opened the shell over it. :th

Here’s little Bobbles who is extremely tiny at 2 weeks. The little black bibbed is younger than him! :eek:
He eats, drinks, runs around, poops, and acts normal.

For size comparison, the little blue fawn beside him just hatched out this morning!
7E106EB0-5877-4504-90B5-8CFE470D807C.jpeg
CFDF1C84-D799-43E3-B353-C3BDC6A158F5.jpeg
FAD573BF-049A-4375-8D46-A094C31E9D98.jpeg
BD38C21E-5A60-479F-8B54-7A15957BD882.jpeg
E4595DD0-3026-45B4-B85F-C5EC6E8B6E1F.jpeg

Here’s little Bobbles who is extremely tiny at 2 weeks. The little black bibbed is younger than him! :eek:
He eats, drinks, runs around, poops, and acts normal.

For size comparison, the little blue fawn beside him just hatched out this morning! View attachment 2623283View attachment 2623284View attachment 2623285View attachment 2623286View attachment 2623287
Wow! So many cuties! Seeing them makes me feel better as I've been worried about my two littles. They act normal but I was just shocked at first. I'll get a group picture this evening. I haven't shared a picture of all of them together since hatching.

They need water deep enough to submerge their heads at a week old, right? The quail drinker is working really well to teach them but I know it won't be sufficient for long. I can't remember what I did with my big ducks when they were so young. I've got a couple of articles bookmarked that I need to read but I worry that everything that normally applies to ducks doesn't for Calls since they're so tiny. My apologies if I'm being dramatic. You'd think I've never had ducks but it does feel like I'm starting from scratch since it's been so long ago.

I just wanted to share a picture of the first two. The dark one is #1 and the yellow is #2. #1 will soon be referred to as Telulah or Paisley. #2 will be referred to as Lylah or Delilah.

@WVduckchick
View attachment 2622309
:love too cute!
(are these from my eggs? I couldn’t remember if you had others or not)
I'm going to take a guess that size at hatch isn't an indicator of gender. Is that correct? The difference in size between 1 and 2 vs 3 and 4 is CRAZY
@WVduckchick
I have a variety of sizes, most of my greys are the smallest, I have one that is super tiny, but none of my ducks are overly large. Could be male/female size difference, I haven’t hatched very many from this group, and many of them are first year layers.

@FunnyfarmMidwest , you asked about Phoenix - she’s doing so great even being a loner. She has chicks in brooders beside her, but in a brooder by herself. I might try putting a couple chicks in with her this week. I think I’ll have a couple hatch this week that were originally under my white hen, but we’ll see. I think one of the 8 eggs is quitting, but it’s still in for now.

Back
Top Bottom