Preparing to set call and pekin duck eggs! Hatch day should be March 4, 2021 if all goes well!

Kinda looks like a blue magpie according to this color chart
Screenshot_20210616-203952.png
. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Although I'm not sure I really understand the difference between a magpie and a pied

Kinda looks like a blue magpie according to this color chartView attachment 2721855. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Although I'm not sure I really understand the difference between a magpie and a pied

I was looking at that chart and thought the same thing! Either that or lilac are the closest to her color. I wonder if a Blue Magpie hen looks any different than the Drake?

I was looking at that chart and thought the same thing! Either that or lilac are the closest to her color. I wonder if a Blue Magpie hen looks any different than the Drake?
I'm guessing not much different since the chart shows black or blue magpie instead of duck and drake.

From what I've found so far, it might be that magpies have more white feathering than a pied. Having more than 50% of their body in black, blue, or Chocolate is a fault, but having more than 80% white feathering is also a fault. I only read over this article once and as someone with ADHD, I like to read over things multiple times. I'll link the page I found the magpie info on but I didn't see any info on pied

Edited: maybe it's a genetics thing but that's way over my head still.

Obviously not the most recent ducklings but I had the rare chance of getting a picture of Faith while she's dry. @WVduckchick does this help in being able to tell if her color is Blue or Chocolate pied? @shawluvsbirds you're thinking Blue pied, right?

Thank you so much

View attachment 2721712

Eeeee!!! :love

She looks just like Margarita to me, we always called her "khaki", or lilac. Technically, I think its chocolate pied.

I don't know whether this is accurate or not, but its my understanding that Magpie is a specific pattern of a color plus white. "Pied" is a take of Magpie, just not exactly the correct pattern to be Magpie, and has more scattered white than bibbed. "Bibbed" is white on the chest only, with consistent color everywhere else on the body.

I had several of that color at one point, and now have none. Margarita never returned. :(
IMG_8099.JPG

Back
Top Bottom