Preparing to set call and pekin duck eggs! Hatch day should be March 4, 2021 if all goes well!

Unnamed drake. I won't be keeping this guy. Not only is he too related to a majority of the girls, but he's also a jerk. I don't like him at all. Too bad cuz he's cute.View attachment 2726112
Oh wow! He is a handsome Lil bugger! May I ask what you mean by jerk?

Side note: I'm not questioning your judgment in any way, at all. Just curious about behaviors to be on the lookout for. Tully (formerly known as Tallulah) isn't a jerk but he just doesn't seem to like humans at all. Of course I'll keep trying with him but I'd hate for his fear to have any impact on the others.

Does breeding closely related ducks cause issues? I've read from 2 people that causes increased mortality but I don't know. Or does it just limit the possibilities/gene pool? Also, does this refer to breeding siblings and parents over and over and over? Please overlook me if this is a dumb question. I've learned so much here!

Oh wow! He is a handsome Lil bugger! May I ask what you mean by jerk?

Side note: I'm not questioning your judgment in any way, at all. Just curious about behaviors to be on the lookout for. Tully (formerly known as Tallulah) isn't a jerk but he just doesn't seem to like humans at all. Of course I'll keep trying with him but I'd hate for his fear to have any impact on the others.
He's actually a jerk to all the other birds. He doesn't seem to like anyone, and goes after them, unprovoked. He's done this since he was a little guy so I never named him. I'm not sure what his deal is, but I definitely don't like him. Haha.

Does breeding closely related ducks cause issues? I've read from 2 people that causes increased mortality but I don't know. Or does it just limit the possibilities/gene pool? Also, does this refer to breeding siblings and parents over and over and over? Please overlook me if this is a dumb question. I've learned so much here!
Oh, my, YES. Let me tell you, it sure as hell does cause issues. I lived that nightmare this year. I think you can get by just fine with parent x offspring breeding for a bit, but full siblings are problematic.
Last year, I had a ton of genetic diversity, and every egg I set was fertile, and hatched.
I only kept babies from one pairing, and the mom. Mistake. Less than 50% fertility rates, and a ton of quitters throughout. Bad news bears. Never again for me. That's why I am only keeping girls from that group, and boys from entirely different lines.

He's actually a jerk to all the other birds. He doesn't seem to like anyone, and goes after them, unprovoked. He's done this since he was a little guy so I never named him. I'm not sure what his deal is, but I definitely don't like him. Haha.
Oh wow! That's too bad. Typical male, handsome = jerk

I'm kidding! This doesn't apply to husbands and sons of the folks on this thread 🤣

I've noticed that Lylah is beginning to molt now, but it seems like their plumage changes with the seasons, at least for drakes. Of course I may be wrong, so don't trust this. @Conan @FunnyfarmMidwest @shawluvsbirds @WVduckchick @BirdsBeesTrees
When do Calls molt into nuptial plumage?
Ducks seem to constantly molt, don't they? Hens change vibrancy throughout the year just like the boys. Right now, the mature hens that my friend has are like bleached versions of their former selves.
They get their sexy "I'm an adult now" plumage late summer, early fall assuming they hatched in spring.

Oh, my, YES. Let me tell you, it sure as hell does cause issues. I lived that nightmare this year. I think you can get by just fine with parent x offspring breeding for a bit, but full siblings are problematic.
Last year, I had a ton of genetic diversity, and every egg I set was fertile, and hatched.
I only kept babies from one pairing, and the mom. Mistake. Less than 50% fertility rates, and a ton of quitters throughout. Bad news bears. Never again for me. That's why I am only keeping girls from that group, and boys from entirely different lines.
Wow. That's good to know! One person I was talking with hatched some of another breed that I hatched, from same breeder and everything. She had multiple deaths after hatch. They were completely fine and then just dropped dead, as late as 4 months old. She lost 50% of her hatchers and decided to rehome the rest. She said that she suspected it was from too much in breeding. I didn't ask because I was just too worried. There's nothing I can do now but hope for the best and care for them as best as I can.

Ducks seem to constantly molt, don't they? Hens change vibrancy throughout the year just like the boys. Right now, the mature hens that my friend has are like bleached versions of their former selves.
They get their sexy "I'm an adult now" plumage late summer, early fall assuming they hatched in spring.
My Buff Duck has started to molt already! She molted fall last year. My Pekin is forever dropping feathers though. They're 22 months old. They seem normal otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom