Preparing to take the leap

tmomerling

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Hello everyone,

I'm the mother of 2 boys, have a fairly decent backyard and garden with 2 dogs. I'm hoping to add some chickens to our yard/family. One of my dogs is very mellow, I doubt she'll be a bother, and my other dog is very old, not a concern at this time. What I'm thinking about is having a chicken coop/dog house in the back of my yard near the fence. We could have a run off the side of the coop and separate it from the dog entrance/exit. I hope to be able to have them co-mingle in our yard. I'm looking for eggs, not meat and help with pest control and fun for the kids and I.

Any advise you all have would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone has had chickens and dogs together.

Thanks,
Theresa

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Hello and welcome to BYC!

hemet dennis

Songster
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
Hemet,Ca. 20+chicken years
My Coop
Hello everyone,

I'm the mother of 2 boys, have a fairly decent backyard and garden with 2 dogs. I'm hoping to add some chickens to our yard/family. One of my dogs is very mellow, I doubt she'll be a bother, and my other dog is very old, not a concern at this time. What I'm thinking about is having a chicken coop/dog house in the back of my yard near the fence. We could have a run off the side of the coop and separate it from the dog entrance/exit. I hope to be able to have them co-mingle in our yard. I'm looking for eggs, not meat and help with pest control and fun for the kids and I.

Any advise you all have would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone has had chickens and dogs together.

Thanks,
Theresa
My dog does fine and will defend the chickens he keeps all the predators away.

from Hemet, Calif.

Fierlin1182

powered-flight
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Hello and :welcome

I know a lot of people whose dogs get along well with their chickens and will even act as a sort of guard. :p I suppose it'd be different for everyone, just keep an eye on them if you want to introduce them for the first time.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

1muttsfan

Up Northerner
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Upper Peninsula Michigan
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan

Chickens are very dusty. If you have a single house for both of them, make sure the dog portion is completely separated.

tmomerling

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Thanks so much everyone, I'm really excited to have joined, I've been looking at the coops and resources for a while, it's nice to be moving forward.
Theresa

Top Bottom