Preparing to take the leap

tmomerling

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Hello everyone,

I'm the mother of 2 boys, have a fairly decent backyard and garden with 2 dogs. I'm hoping to add some chickens to our yard/family. One of my dogs is very mellow, I doubt she'll be a bother, and my other dog is very old, not a concern at this time. What I'm thinking about is having a chicken coop/dog house in the back of my yard near the fence. We could have a run off the side of the coop and separate it from the dog entrance/exit. I hope to be able to have them co-mingle in our yard. I'm looking for eggs, not meat and help with pest control and fun for the kids and I.

Any advise you all have would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone has had chickens and dogs together.

Thanks,
Theresa

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Hello everyone,

I'm the mother of 2 boys, have a fairly decent backyard and garden with 2 dogs. I'm hoping to add some chickens to our yard/family. One of my dogs is very mellow, I doubt she'll be a bother, and my other dog is very old, not a concern at this time. What I'm thinking about is having a chicken coop/dog house in the back of my yard near the fence. We could have a run off the side of the coop and separate it from the dog entrance/exit. I hope to be able to have them co-mingle in our yard. I'm looking for eggs, not meat and help with pest control and fun for the kids and I.

Any advise you all have would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone has had chickens and dogs together.

Thanks,
Theresa

My dog does fine and will defend the chickens he keeps all the predators away.

welcome-byc.gif
from Hemet, Calif.

Hello and :welcome

I know a lot of people whose dogs get along well with their chickens and will even act as a sort of guard. :p I suppose it'd be different for everyone, just keep an eye on them if you want to introduce them for the first time.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Thanks so much everyone, I'm really excited to have joined, I've been looking at the coops and resources for a while, it's nice to be moving forward.
Theresa

Back
Top Bottom