Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

Does anyone have recommendations on weather stripping? I'm looking for L-shaped stripping that I can tack the short side to the side of the doors and windows with the long side of the stripping overlapping the coop wall when the door/window is closed, to stop drafts. My husband tried to use the foam insulation spray that doesn't expand, but then we had to cut it to open the doors and window.

Hi, I had a similar type of need and used the rubber cove base you can get for floor/ wall molding. You can get this at any place that sells flooring supplies, lowes, Menards Home Depot etc.. very cheap but sturdy and you can just screw it in where needed. It also has a lip on it which comes in handy to help with run off. I used this over the nesting box door hinge. Water was getting in around the hinges and this stopped the issue.

Hope that helps you

Hi, I had a similar type of need and used the rubber cove base you can get for floor/ wall molding. You can get this at any place that sells flooring supplies, lowes, Menards Home Depot etc.. very cheap but sturdy and you can just screw it in where needed. It also has a lip on it which comes in handy to help with run off. I used this over the nesting box door hinge. Water was getting in around the hinges and this stopped the issue.

Hope that helps you
Thank you!

I have the heavy duty plastic that is clear, get it at Walmart in the craft / sewing section. Very thick and best part is so clear you can see inside the run from a good distance. I can watch the young chicks run around. This I secured with the furring strips at the top and bottom of the run on most sides but I have a pull out section of the run that I use to open and clean or let the flock out to free range. That section I have secured with industrial strength velcro attached to the plastic and the coop frame. ( put a couple staples in just to keep it strong. This works great because on warmer dry days I can just take off the velcro portion and let them have some nice fresh air flow.

I also put some clear corrugated panels on the top of the run and secured them with screws. You can get these panels at Hardware / home centers. They are easy to cut with tin snips and I like that they are clear so the flock can still get plenty of sunshine without the snow and rain bothering them. Panels are UV Protected and polycarbonate, might be a bit pricey, I got mine on sale but figure I can remove them in spring and reuse each year. I didn't want to shovel snow all winter in the coop, Panels are at an angle so snow can run off but if it builds up a broom pushes it right off.

That's my plan.

I have the heavy duty plastic that is clear, get it at Walmart in the craft / sewing section. Very thick and best part is so clear you can see inside the run from a good distance. I can watch the young chicks run around. This I secured with the furring strips at the top and bottom of the run on most sides but I have a pull out section of the run that I use to open and clean or let the flock out to free range. That section I have secured with industrial strength velcro attached to the plastic and the coop frame. ( put a couple staples in just to keep it strong. This works great because on warmer dry days I can just take off the velcro portion and let them have some nice fresh air flow.

I also put some clear corrugated panels on the top of the run and secured them with screws. You can get these panels at Hardware / home centers. They are easy to cut with tin snips and I like that they are clear so the flock can still get plenty of sunshine without the snow and rain bothering them. Panels are UV Protected and polycarbonate, might be a bit pricey, I got mine on sale but figure I can remove them in spring and reuse each year. I didn't want to shovel snow all winter in the coop, Panels are at an angle so snow can run off but if it builds up a broom pushes it right off.

That's my plan.
The Poly carb triple wall I have is leftover from greenhouse construction...I just need to figure out how to secure it temporarily just for winter for the underside of our coop....I figure they'll hang out there a lot since it will be totally dry and the clear poly will allow them some sunshine! :) Otherwise, ours are so protected on the north side with the garage and most of the west side of their run is the coop itself...just need to block up the west side vents, and secure the draft possible areas...should be about good to go!

I used self tapping screws/ bolts that have the little rubber gaskets on them. This seems to work well and with the high winds we get I haven't had a problem. I am jealous you have a greenhouse. I would love to have one!

Take care

Me either, @dheltzel ...not worth the possible tragedy of a fire. As for waterers I use the horizontal water nipples in my plastic bucket. I've ordered 250-watt mini stock tank heaters so my problem will be solved...no more frozen waterers. And the best part is...no more spilled/wet bedding!

there is something i heard from a friend if you ever have the cookies that come in a tin you can set your waterer on top of that and it wont freeze i dont know how true it is i always have a heated waterer from the feed store so i havent needed to use the tin idea yet

The cookie tin heater has a light bulb inside it. You still have to be very careful that it's set up properly! Water and electricity don't mix very well. Also, I don't know how much heat they generate. When making your own gadgets, you need to know what you're doing, and accept the risks involved.

my husband made a water heater out of an old cookie tin and light bulb, we are still working on how to use without causing issues with water and electricity and the combo of a pecking chicken who thinks a cord is one big worm. but i found an article some time back that said straw and poop mixing can cause constant dampness and a bacterial buildup in quick order, should i add diatomaceous earth to the mix to keep bacteria growth down, or what about that fresh stuff that kills ammonia. i worry about the fact my chickens are always on the hunt for a snack. plus how warm should i keep the coup, it has several air holes (built from old barnwood) and i felt this was good for ventilation

Back
Top Bottom