Prepping for our first long New England winter - DIY tarps

I read your post completely. Replied with caution that you may experience unwanted behavior having a greenhouse for a run. Despite your denial of a simple truth it most definitely is a greenhouse.

If you took the time to get off the soap box and read what I wrote you might understand I said nothing about ventilation. I was advising a means to ensure conditioning and behavior.

Good day.
OP clearly stated that their intention was to build:

Something that was not going to require being screwed in/out yearly, OR stapled yearly, and something that could easily be removed, or partially folded up/down to let more air in on warmer winter days. And finally - something clear, or close-ish to clear so we could still see/enjoy our flock.

Definitely not a greenhouse!! I wish I have clear vinyl panels that I can install/take off easily!! Admirable accomplishment I'd say!

Back with an update It has definitely been a journey, but we are almost done, and despite a few challenges, I am very happy with the outcome!

Cutting the vinyl, and the canvas was easy.

Sewing WOULD have been easy, if I had a proper heavy duty sewing machine, rather than the little singer machine that I have used. Half way through the project, my husband offered to drop $1000 on a new machine, but... Being the stubborn Sagittarius that I am, I was bound and determined to make it work with what I had... And I did. Although I did break about 14 sewing needles in the process! 😂 Let it be known that your every day average sewing machine WILL work, but you will swear a lot.

That being said... Here's where we are:
View attachment 3328648

The 4 main panels (6.5'x10') each are done and installed. Grommet installation was a piece of cake, we used a hammer kit with 3/8" brass grommets, and it turned out great!

We decided to install permanent hardware, so that we would not be screwing into the wood each year. So hubby installed threaded inserts, and we used bolts and washers to screw the tarps into place. On warm days, we can unscrew the tops and let them down for some nice ventilation, and easily screw back in. No damage to the wood.

I will get a better photo of the hardware to share!

I am still working on the small panels that will go around the sides and the panels for under the coop as well... the small panels will be a piece of cake compared to the large ones! I am so happy with the clear vinyl! My birds dont seem to be bothered by it, and there is NO NOISE from the wind... Definitely worth it!

That's all for now, more updates soon!

I really like how clear that material is! Nice job making those! I don't know that I would of had the patience to push through.

People can have very strong opinions on chicken housing. Most of that will be from experience so is worth keeping in mind whether you opt for something different or not.

I cover my windward side only. That works for me...mostly. Sometimes we get swirling wind that will blow snow in from all sides.

Your coop and run are very nice! Do what works for you.

Well, the final large panel is installed on my chicken murder greenhouse, and I honestly could not be happier with it. Although we originally thought we might need coverage over at least part of the door/gable side of the run, we actually don't think we do. So that whole side remains open, and the chickens seem very comfortable and happy.

I've been monitoring the outdoor temp and the run temp with the tarps up, and so far it is only registering a couple degrees warmer inside, even during the high sun parts of the day.

In the spring, I will stain the newly added wood sections to match the rest of the run. For now - it is what it is.

This project was definitely worth the time and effort. It looks great, it was WAY cheaper than custom tarps, it eliminates single use plastic - so its better for the environment and my wallet in the long run, the use of threaded inserts makes it less damaging to the wood (no staples, no screws) and the marine vinyl is SILENT in the wind, as well as clear to see my birds!

I am a happy chicken mama! And my chickens laid 3 eggs while we finished up the install!
IMG_0772.jpg
ACS_0395.JPG

3 months later, I thought I would give a little update...

its honestly not a very exciting update - or maybe a very exciting update, depending on how you look at it. 😂

The panels work great! My birds have endured 2 arctic blasts of sub-zero temps (one getting as low as -33*F) with crazy winds, and many snow storms without any issues.

For those that suggested I was creating a greenhouse, I regret to inform you that the tarped area of the run only differed in temps by about 2 degrees (warmer) on a really sunny day.

I call it a major win, soon we will be taking them down, hosing them off, and storing them for next winter!

Last edited:
i live in connecticut, with a similar coop/run setup to yours.

i cover the lower 4’ of the run walls, along with the area under the raised coop, in stiff polycarbonate panels.

between the roof overhangs and the panels, i get very little, if any, snow in my run during the winter.
I live in CT as well. We start like this, and I'll puzzle in tarp if some 'wicked' weather comes with the sideways wind and snow. This will be third winter with this set up.
IMG_6766.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom