Prettiest Rooter breeds?

accdntlcntrygrl

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 20, 2013
Hi, I just lost my Barred Rock Roo to a rogue Rottweiler. I've had tough first go at raising chickens as I am a former city slicker now living in the back of beyond. Now that everything is secure, I'm giving it another go and want opinions on a big, pretty Roo to complement my flock of 8-12 hens. I'm an animal trainer and worked with all my chickens, but esp my Roo. He would come when called, jump on on things i tapped, take treats nicely, let me pick him up and still protected the hens (which is how he lost his life ;-( )
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi, I just lost my Barred Rock Roo to a rogue Rottweiler. I've had tough first go at raising chickens as I am a former city slicker now living in the back of beyond. Now that everything is secure, I'm giving it another go and want opinions on a big, pretty Roo to complement my flock of 8-12 hens. I'm an animal trainer and worked with all my chickens, but esp my Roo. He would come when called, jump on on things i tapped, take treats nicely, let me pick him up and still protected the hens (which is how he lost his life ;-( )
Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have a Japanese bantam roo. he is super friendly and showy. I think you would love the breed!

I personally like blue, black,splash Ameraucanas and White Plymouth Rocks. For just a backyard flock I always recommend gentle easy to find breeds such as cochins. They tend to have very sweet personalities and look pretty. If ordering from hatcheries there are usually some breeds I dont recommend since they tend to have aggression problems (rooster wise anyways). But with you being an animal trainer you shouldnt really have a hard time with getting them to behave properly. It all depends if you are wanting to buy from breeders or hatcheries, but if you are going to order from a hatchery I recommend browsing their website and looking at different breeds. even if ordering from a breeder you can still get a general idea of what breed/breeds you are interested in and look for a local breeder.

silver spangled hamburgs

not my photo

I lost mine to a hawk
sad.png

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Those are some beautiful roos! How about the Wyandottes either the silver laced or the Partidge. I cant tell from the google pics if the pics are actually of the breeeds
what is this guy? .

I personally like blue, black,splash Ameraucanas and White Plymouth Rocks. For just a backyard flock I always recommend gentle easy to find breeds such as cochins. They tend to have very sweet personalities and look pretty. If ordering from hatcheries there are usually some breeds I dont recommend since they tend to have aggression problems (rooster wise anyways). But with you being an animal trainer you shouldnt really have a hard time with getting them to behave properly. It all depends if you are wanting to buy from breeders or hatcheries, but if you are going to order from a hatchery I recommend browsing their website and looking at different breeds. even if ordering from a breeder you can still get a general idea of what breed/breeds you are interested in and look for a local breeder.

What breeds would you not recommend? I planned to order from Ideal Poultry. That's where I bought my Chinese geese. I am in an extremely rural area with lots of predators. Birds are locked up tight next to my dog kennel at night and I've only lost birds to predators when they are out "grazing." Birds also need to be pretty weather hardy temps vary btw 120*F and 6*F at extremes. I have cameras, new fencing, accessible hideouts, and flock watchdogs and geese. I raised my last chicks around dogs so they wouldn't act too flighty and trigger their prey drive but they were a bit too friendly (walking up to the dogs or flying into dog runs while they eat and eating their food from they bowls). That was my former Rooster's fatal mistake. He decided to fly into a run with a visiting Rottweiler to share his dinner.

Back
Top Bottom