Preventing aggressive behaviour in cockerels/ roos

Pics

Dona Worry

Crowing
Jul 5, 2018
Vermont
So there is quite a bit about what to do with an aggressive rooster, but I was hoping for tips about preventing a roo from ever becoming mean.
I have two youngsters, one is 5, almost six months, the other almost 3 months. So far, neither have shown any 'adult' behaviors, other than some tidbitting and strutting for the pullets from the older one. What are some steps to take to keep them calm and respectful towards people as they grow up?

So there is quite a bit about what to do with an aggressive rooster, but I was hoping for tips about preventing a roo from ever becoming mean.
I have two youngsters, one is 5, almost six months, the other almost 3 months. So far, neither have shown any 'adult' behaviors, other than some tidbitting and strutting for the pullets from the older one. What are some steps to take to keep them calm and respectful towards people as they grow up?
I think it's based on the roosters personality itself. I have an all rooster flock an used to have a separate room with hens. They were all different. When they did get agressive or bite me I would hold them upside down to show them I'm over them. I do pet and spoil my boys so that could be my issue. They tidbit me and dance around me. I have one that I call toe muncher. When I wear sandals he does like my toes. He also likes fingers. He doesn't attack me but he does jump up to take a bite of my finger when I'm just standing there not expecting it. I don't know much about prevention just how to handle it once it shows. My roos will peck my cats but I allow this and encourage it so that the cats know their place since they used to chase my chickens and think they were fun to hunt. I have a 12 week old roo that started showing signs of being male when he was 9 weeks. He does chase the female chicks and he has bitten me. I originally thought he was a hen but he sure showed me.

The 9 week old (red and white) I am still allowing to come and eat with the pullets, but am insisting he stay in back and no more treats from the hand. The 5mo (white, waaaaay in the background) is staying well away, and when he crowed a plastic water bottle fell from the sky and smacked his head, so he hasn't tried that in a while.
20180714_195811.jpg

It doesn’t matter weather he was raised by hand,hen,or brooder,if he is going to be aggressive he is going to be.The best way to prevent it for me is make them move out your way,and anytime they don’t I just lightly shove them out the way.All my boys are pets and have never had a issue with aggression.

this artcle talk bout attempt to correcting bad behavor where rooster already attcking. it mite work:) but do u reely want to go smackin stick at cocker that done nothin wrong?! OP not even mention chicken have bad atittude. i think throwin water bottle at cocker that just crow is not right.

why antagonize somthin when it not doin anything wrong!
re-home chicken mite be better here

The 5mo (white, waaaaay in the background) is staying well away, and when he crowed a plastic water bottle fell from the sky and smacked his head

So far, neither have shown any 'adult' behaviors

Back
Top Bottom