Preventing aggressive behaviour in cockerels/ roos

I’ve had success with my roo from small day old . As he grew and started running to me in front of the hens I just gently pushed him aside with my boot . He ran at me a few times but I stomped my feet and raised my voice , he’s definitely in charge of the hens , I never pick them up in front of him , I pet them but I also pet his chest ......

Give him time to grow up,
Let him grow into his job,
Running at you will happen it’s how you handle it that will make or break the relationship.

Roosters need to be understood by the owners, it seems to be a little work for the first year or two but then they are wonderful to have . Good luck
47EC58F3-90A4-41B4-8762-8194C1DE6513.jpeg

this artcle talk bout attempt to correcting bad behavor where rooster already attcking. it mite work:) but do u reely want to go smackin stick at cocker that done nothin wrong?! OP not even mention chicken have bad atittude. i think throwin water bottle at cocker that just crow is not right.

why antagonize somthin when it not doin anything wrong!
re-home chicken mite be better here
The article itself does talk about correcting behavior, but I also treat my cockerels similarly before the behavior begins. I don't hand feed, coddle or cuddle my cockerels. I make them keep their distance from the beginning. I walk through them, making them get out of my way. I will occasionally move them away from feed and water, just because I can. If one looks at me sideways, I will walk toward him until he backs up. Same if one comes my way. I haven't had an aggressive cockerel/rooster since I started raising them this way. The objective is to keep them on their toes, so to speak. Make them wary enough to want to keep their distance. In my opinion, if he gets within smacking range, he's too close.

When she says to "smack" him, it's not beating the chicken, or hitting him hard enough to cause pain or injury. Just enough to get his attention. I don't worry about them crowing in front of me. I'm not another rooster, so I don't see that as a challenge. But we all have different ways of handling our flock. I think this article is a good guideline for teaching them to be respectful from the beginning, or correcting bad behavior. I don't think OP is experienced with roosters. We all have to start somewhere.

The article itself does talk about correcting behavior, but I also treat my cockerels similarly before the behavior begins. I don't hand feed, coddle or cuddle my cockerels. I make them keep their distance from the beginning. I walk through them, making them get out of my way. I will occasionally move them away from feed and water, just because I can. If one looks at me sideways, I will walk toward him until he backs up. Same if one comes my way. I haven't had an aggressive cockerel/rooster since I started raising them this way. The objective is to keep them on their toes, so to speak. Make them wary enough to want to keep their distance. In my opinion, if he gets within smacking range, he's too close.

When she says to "smack" him, it's not beating the chicken, or hitting him hard enough to cause pain or injury. Just enough to get his attention. I don't worry about them crowing in front of me. I'm not another rooster, so I don't see that as a challenge. But we all have different ways of handling our flock. I think this article is a good guideline for teaching them to be respectful from the beginning, or correcting bad behavior. I don't think OP is experienced with roosters. We all have to start somewhere.

have no probs w/not hand feed/no cuddle. cocker keep distance ok/ walk thru them ok/ they need move out of way that good! No probs with makin cocker repsect space.

i can read jus like everbody else so get that article dont say to beat chicken. peeple read it mite not read thru an understand what being said. see lot threads here where peeples kick/hit/throw/use broom/use rake/use stick/chase/yell an on it goes only to be more frustrated an angry at cocker! cocker confuse an afraid/lash out like a cornered animal or jus tramatized an is useless. peeples end up culling an cry rivers cause they baby is gone:hit

some probs come from peeples bad behavor not cockers bad behavor!

shoulda sayed OP is behaving badly. throw bottle at head of cocker for crowing is bad form. OP give "punishement" when not needed. OP say cocker not doin anything wrong but still hit cocker! how that right thing to do? OP scared of cocker an livin in fear that somthin mite happen so it better to rehome cockers until they comfy with chickens an have time tolearn bout behavor

fwiw this my opine/how i see it bykt:)

have no probs w/not hand feed/no cuddle. cocker keep distance ok/ walk thru them ok/ they need move out of way that good! No probs with makin cocker repsect space.

i can read jus like everbody else so get that article dont say to beat chicken. peeple read it mite not read thru an understand what being said. see lot threads here where peeples kick/hit/throw/use broom/use rake/use stick/chase/yell an on it goes only to be more frustrated an angry at cocker! cocker confuse an afraid/lash out like a cornered animal or jus tramatized an is useless. peeples end up culling an cry rivers cause they baby is gone:hit

some probs come from peeples bad behavor not cockers bad behavor!

shoulda sayed OP is behaving badly. throw bottle at head of cocker for crowing is bad form. OP give "punishement" when not needed. OP say cocker not doin anything wrong but still hit cocker! how that right thing to do? OP scared of cocker an livin in fear that somthin mite happen so it better to rehome cockers until they comfy with chickens an have time tolearn bout behavor

fwiw this my opine/how i see it bykt:)
Article states pretty plainly that a cockerel should not crow in the presence of a higher-ranking rooster. I am not hurting him, (how much does your average empty plastic water bottle weigh? Lobbed gently through the air? Come one now, we both know it did nothing more than startle) nor am I afraid of him. I 100% don't want to cull him for aggression issues so I am laying out the ground rules-- can't chase hens away from the food I am putting out, no crowing in my face-- NOW. And I am holding Rory to the same standards.
So far, life in the flock is peaceful. Nardole has started to show signs of being amorous towards some of the older pullets, but no scuffles yet. And, when I come out to be with the girls, he peels off to one side and waits. He is starting to figure out I will toss him some food further away, and he does not crow.

You can follow whatever method works best for you. I for one think total consistency BEFORE he really hits puberty will make it easier on everyone, including Nardole, when he does. He won't be dealing with raging hormones and a total shift in the ground rules, just following the ones that are already in place!

Article states pretty plainly that a cockerel should not crow in the presence of a higher-ranking rooster.
u got a nother rooster? where is high ranker rooster livin? mature rooster can help keep cockers inline.
I 100% don't want to cull him for aggression issues so I am laying out the ground rules-- can't chase hens away from the food I am putting out, no crowing in my face-- NOW.
i looky at u other posterings an i think u reely do need follow:woot:bow rooster speak advise get a switch an start bein consist like u say. u confusin cockers with u actions he get CUDDLE TIME an handy fed treats. he done CHARGE U no pick lotion is not escuse! they confused cause u coddle/hand feed then they crow u drop bottle on em be consisten like u say so thy knows the deal. reely hopes this work 4U an u getstraitened out but if all else fail then take ADVISE u gots last week from aart or may be u can use YOUR OWN ADVISE that u give to others

So far, life in the flock is peaceful.
:fl prey this true good luck an bye bye:frow

u got a nother rooster? where is high ranker rooster livin? mature rooster can help keep cockers inline.

i looky at u other posterings an i think u reely do need follow:woot:bow rooster speak advise get a switch an start bein consist like u say. u confusin cockers with u actions he get CUDDLE TIME an handy fed treats. he done CHARGE U no pick lotion is not escuse! they confused cause u coddle/hand feed then they crow u drop bottle on em be consisten like u say so thy knows the deal. reely hopes this work 4U an u getstraitened out but if all else fail then take ADVISE u gots last week from aart or may be u can use YOUR OWN ADVISE that u give to others

:fl prey this true good luck an bye bye:frow
Dominant roo would be me lol.
I'm not sure what you are referring to with lack of consistency. He charged me once, did not actually attack, and was corrected, 'cuddle time' was to check his weight and treat his head. I have held him probably 3 times in the six weeks he has been here, and twice was to put medicine on him. I don't baby him, he was allowed to eat from my hand, but I have decided no longer.
You may be confused; fortunately, Nardole is not, and is adjusting to the new rules easily.

what, what?!? That's a Sussex cock on the main page.
Find another breed. Sussex males are known for their gentle, noble, curious disposition. They are one of the last breeds I would have picked to typify male aggression.
The cock in the pic is not acting aggressively. It looks like he has found a tidbit for his ladies and is about to call them to it. I have seen this posture in that scenario many, many times.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
does the rooster in Post number 11 have gold bleeding thru in his hackle or is that just dirt? is that the same rooster as in the thread foundation pic?

Already been said, I will say it a bit more clearly. It's about genes...Nothing more, nothing less. You didn't really mention what kind of aggression you are hoping to avoid though? First few months of their life they will be or typically are obnoxious like a teenager and slowly mellow out into a rooster. Not sure the age of yours, but don't judge a cockerel on his pubescent months. I've seen 'pet' roosters turn on their owners in an instant after several years, so you never really know.

-When you do see him/them make sure they get out of your way. This doesn't mean get all hillbilly on them. Simply just don't walk around them.

-See what his dad is/was like. You may be able to get a potentially better idea.

-Respect what he is and what he was created to do. Fowl are complicated creatures, more so than most people realize. Sometimes rooster aggression towards people is guess what? Something WE are doing wrong that he finds threatening.

-Don't apply human emotions/conditions to a rooster.

-People keep animals, sometimes for a lifetime. Doesn't mean they really know anything about them. Keep that in mind. Do YOUR own research, and believe me there are tons of articles about the dynamics of roosterdom.

Roosters are amazing, a great rooster is spiritual. Good luck with your boy(s) and I hope they grow up into amazing birds.

I have a lot of roosters, more than most have in terms of chickens total so do not have time for fooling around with man-fighters. Many of my roosters also live several years and a few are used for intensive social interaction with human public. That public is populated by people that assume roosters are mean or should be dominated. I shut those human behaviors down during the education process.

Effort is made to not be part of the pecking order. Movements we make are slow and deliberate. When feeding, very subtle delays between approach and dispensing make so birds do not associate jumping on you or feed container (feed-bucket aggression) with immediate reward of more feed. We do not pick on birds nor do we recoil it they make aggressive overtures at you. Do not give them a response which sometimes requires a thick skin when you feel you have to be the cock of the flock. Avoid distressing hens around rooster, but there is another bigger thing; do not distress the rooster's offspring while he is observing. The rooster is not about protecting his ladies, rather it is his reproductive effort. Also be easy on roosters during the heavy part of molt while they are replacing body feathers.

Back
Top Bottom