Preventing aggressive behaviour in cockerels/ roos

There are a few rules that I expect all animals-- regardless of species!-- to observe around me, and that is no fighting amongst themselves when I am in the 'room'. That means when I approach my horses/cows/chickens with food/water/treats/attention, I will not tolerate the big/dominant ones beating the smaller/weaker ones away from whatever it is I offer, nor to I appreciate a 'bubble invasion ' where everyone competes to be closest to me. That is not rooster specific (obviously lol) but it is behavior I discourage.
Any form of human aggression will not be tolerated. I live on a very safe dirt road, and the neighbors very young children like to ride their bikes, walk their dogs go exploring etc past my house, and if either rooster attacks a child, it would be bad. Also I have young neices that enjoy the birds. I don't allow anyone to chase or pick up the birds, so there is no reason for a human to be percieved as a threat to their flock.
Attacking the dog is not a hard no, but I would like to discourage it. Freddie, bless her heart, is a sweet and loving dog, but a hound, and dumb as a box of bricks, and if it moves too fast none of the training in the world will stop her from chasing it.
I won't allow any sucker punches with the dog on the receiving end, but if she chases a hen and gets attacked, well. . . Maybe she won't do it again!
So far, she is heavily monitored around the chickens, and NO chasing is allowed, but I won't say she won't ever chase them. She's a dog, and not a particularly smart or obedient breed either.

Overall, I think Nardole (polish crested) has the potential to be an EXCELLENT flock rooster. He has started dancing for the pullets, and tidbitting for them, but when his advances get rejected he does not get forceful about it. He constantly monitors the area for potential threats and alerts his girls.
I am quite fond of the ridiculous little guy, and hope he sticks around! View attachment 1471847
My man is an Icelandic rooster and amazing on any given day with the ladies. He does, however, get a little dynamic oriented when food is low or water, tends to push out my weaker hen sometimes with a peck. My only complaint about his aggression. He is funny though when I say something to him or make a motion when he does that he does that food cluck and starts pecking the ground like he's ignoring me. His brother, on the other hand, was fine with me, hated my mother (I didn't complain!) and he was very very domination oriented with all my birds to the point I rehomed him to an animal rescue down the road. He's really doing well there and not the top bird in the rooster flock. Guess he just needed humbling and a new situation that I could not provide him.

Dona Worry,
go to the homepage of BYC. Then look at the topic threads as they move from left to right. the pic for this topic thread has a Light Sussex cock in the pic.
Karen

ok:hmm
u rite! i is confused!
u bein domnate high ranker roo in flock how that work xactly? if u high ranker then what purpose do low cockers have in flock to begin wiht?

w/e it nice that nardolf got it all figure out
Well, it is not EXACTLY the same, obviously, but it is what his teen bird brain will equate it with.
When I am out there, I call the girls over for the best treats--just as a good dominant roo would. When I am out there, I do not tolerate squabbles or bullying among the flock--just as a good dominant roo would.
Fluffing up and crowing in my space is testing the boundaries. So, I remind him that in my space, there is no pushing of boundaries. Simple.

When I am not there--which is 90% of the day-- then Nardole is in charge. He leads the way to the feeders and waterers, crows to his hearts content, watches for predators, hunts for treats, etc. Will there be a role for Rory when he matures? I don't know. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

It is not nearly as complicated as you seem to think it is.
BTW, where are you from? Is English your second language?

Your posts are hard to read...
...I'm guessing you're using texting 'language',
instead of fully spelled and punctuated English grammar.
This ---^
But I know when I text in Spanish I sound like an idiot, so I wondered if it was a language barrier.

Last edited:
And don’t hit him from crowing,that’s only natural.Those methods have no since to them,if anything it is likely to make competition.

I Agree. I do not hit my roosters when they crow. My roosters mate and crow in front of me and I have never had an aggressive rooster that I raised. As long as they are respectful of my space I'm happy. My roos eat out of my hand, I am gentle with them and they mind my space.

Back
Top Bottom