Preventing aggressive behaviour in cockerels/ roos

I believe that it’s all in the luck of the draw. I used many non hurtful things to try to curb the aggression from progressing. Particularly when the Roo deserved the least. I was consistent and kind but not afraid to put my palm on his back and hold him to the ground until he submitted, picking him up and carrying him around etc....I know there are sweet Roo’s out there I just have happier hens (and family) with out them.

I've only raised Henry and got my first ever chickens last year. But now I have three more Henries. I'd love to keep one, and amazingly a neighbor found a woman who would like to adopt and raise the other two.

But I've got a good setup to help them through the high heat of summer. We've been well into the three digits for maybe two weeks now. So while they're still with me this coming month or two, I'll enjoy making a study of their personalities and reactions to my work with them.

Maybe I should post here, since this is why the discussion was started. I won't know for sure if my work with these boys is having a positive effect on their behavior, but it'll be interesting to track my progress.

Of course, I do need to consider Henry as their father. He's been aggressive and with my own methods that's turned around. But was he all that bad to begin with, relative to other aggressive man chickens? I wouldn't know.

Rooster is to vague a term of a term for male chicken when discussing behavior. It is OK when age is included. Terms of cockerel, cock and juvenile get closer but still can involve age with birds less than about 18 months. The failure to recognize difference every much contributing to troubles many have with "roosters" and disagreements related to it.

Rooster is to vague a term of a term for male chicken when discussing behavior. It is OK when age is included. Terms of cockerel, cock and juvenile get closer but still can involve age with birds less than about 18 months. The failure to recognize difference every much contributing to troubles many have with "roosters" and disagreements related to it.
You're right. I see your point. Thank you.

I started reading this post because I've been contemplating trying again with a rooster. There's some bantam cochin cockerels (about 5 months old) close by, free, adorable (of course!), and I was curious if our flock and family was ready yet.

We'll give it a few more weeks. You all have been so great in sharing your experiences -- I just don't want to rush it, and regret anything. :love

My sweetest Rooster is my 4 yr old Bantam Cochin.
He takes really good care of his ladies and is not human aggressive And he was hatchery stock.

Believe me, I'm thinking *hard* about getting a new little fella ....... Cochins have a great reputation, but at 5 months, it's still way too early to tell about his temperment.

Silly bantam cochin question: I have full size hens -- would he be able to roost with them, or would he need a lower roost or ladder? (after a quarantine, and then side by side playpen introduction period, of course).

(just the fact that I'm reading everything I can about the breed, and now asking the question means I'm probably rescuing the rooster! lol!)

Believe me, I'm thinking *hard* about getting a new little fella ....... Cochins have a great reputation, but at 5 months, it's still way too early to tell about his temperment.

Silly bantam cochin question: I have full size hens -- would he be able to roost with them, or would he need a lower roost or ladder? (after a quarantine, and then side by side playpen introduction period, of course).

(just the fact that I'm reading everything I can about the breed, and now asking the question means I'm probably rescuing the rooster! lol!)
Once they're integrated, he'll roost with them no problem. He'll be able to get up to even the high roost.

But the ladies may prefer he stay on a lower roost. They'll get it all figured out soon enough, though.

Once they're integrated, he'll roost with them no problem. He'll be able to get up to even the high roost.

But the ladies may prefer he stay on a lower roost. They'll get it all figured out soon enough, though.

I'm hoping some male hormones, even from a young cockerel, can lend some civility to the flock. My older hens are really being snots to the new pullets who are at POL and just starting to test the boundaries. It's chaos at night, with the immature "littles" running and honking from the coop, jumping on my shoulders, trying to roost in my hair from the bully hens.

My former rooster, while a holy terror with all creatures non-poultry, was great at keeping the peace among the hens. My blood pressure was through the roof, and all other pets were terrorized, but the chickens were happy. He's doing great on his new farm, with experienced chicken mom, btw. (This chicken mom is my plan B, if I fail again with another rooster)

My bantam Cochin does just fine roosting on a 4.5' high roost. He has mostly LF hens and they all listen to him.

Back
Top Bottom