Preventing frostbite

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Are there ways to totally prevent (or reduce) frostbite?

It gets cold in the winter (-20 often and even colder in the night) and I've got some birds I really don't want to lose their gigantic combs and wattles.

No, it's not simple enough to just buy birds with small combs. My cockerel naked neck just has a much larger comb than they usually have here.

I've heard of Vaseline being used to diminish frost bite effects and even considered making hats for these birds (I truly think his comb is big enough it could help hold a hat on his head and his pen doesn't have anything it could snag on.

You are definitely in a cold area of Montana. Only thing I can suggest is some added heat during those VERY FRIGID TIMES..
cold.jpg
I have read about the Vaseline, and there were responses that it was not effective. :idunno
Alaskan
Has a nice article worth reviewing. Alaskan lives in Alaska, but in a less frigid part, compared to inland Alaska. The temperature are similar to what you experience.
Here is the link to article. Yes I have read the article:thumbsup
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

I've never had bird with EXCESSIVELY large combs, but a few of my golden comet girls have had some larger straight combs. If you're able to vent your coop well and keep it draft free, a little bit of vaseline might help, but youmay still lose a tip here or there. I think it's one of those things that's hard to say if its the vaseline or perfect husbandry and conditions that saves some combs, but in some cases it may just tip the scales in the combs favour if the situation is borderline so I use it just in case. If your able to keep a sheltered section of run close to the coop, a few clear windbreaks up that will allow them to sit in the meager winter sun without the windchill factor I find there's less daytime loss during those stupid cold days too.

I do not ever put heat lamps in my coop. I've seen first hand the damage they can cause if they get knocked down, and my worrymost bird is far, far from any outlets I could plug in eitherway

Without some sort of heat source, I couldn't imagine how you'd keep those wattles warm! Will he drink from a nipple waterer? I'd worry about him dipping those into his water bowl. If he's housed alone, you might have success with some sort of head wrap 🤔 Insulating the coop might help. Is that the setup he's in, with the open bottom? Can you sneak him somewhere warm until you've got a game plan? When I've got an urgent coop upgrade I need completed I sneak chickens in dog crates into my husband's garage next to his precious tool box and wham! Solutions are found fast! ;)

Chickens survived long before human beings started building them coops. All they need is proper ventilation and a little Bag Balm. No need to fuss over it.

OP says there's already signs of frostbite starting, and the weather hasn't hit its worst. Certain chickens combs and wattles do fine, these are obvious going to take some fussing over.

Back
Top Bottom