Previously healthy chicken suddenly lethargic, can't move - urgent

Hopefully, they are just pale, and I hope there is no frostbite. If her feet get wet, and it gets colder that can be a problem. I would try getting her to eat and drink, and let us know how she gets along.

Purple could indicate circulation or respiratory issues, or cold damage. I would be inclined to guess cold damage since her feet are also discolored.

I would check her mouth and throat as well just to rule out any issues there, since you said she was moving her head and you weren't sure if she was choking or not.

Wishing you the best of luck with both of your birds.

Just got home and she actually looks significantly better. Still sitting down and not moving but her eyes are open and she's a little more alert. I'll check her crop in a minute.

Unfortunately, I don't think she's going to make it. She went to sleep tonight and was thrashing her head around, so I tried to pick her up and wake her up to get her to stop and see what was happening - nothing happened, she was extremely light, and when I set her back down again she fell over and hasn't moved much since. She's drooling and I can't tell if she's still breathing. I still don't know what the issue was, but I don't think she has much time left. Thanks for everyone's help.

By now she's on her side, flopped over, completely still, eyes closed, comb starting to turn purple, etc. I'm assuming she's dead, but I don't want to dispose of the body without being sure. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm sorry to hear this. I was wondering earlier how she was doing after your previous update.

They get cold and stiff pretty fast in my experience. I could tell right away when I touched them. (I wore gloves while doing so as an extra precaution.)

It's unfortunately difficult to tell what might have happened without a necropsy. I might guess cancer if she was very underweight, as that's what my hen was like (pale, very underweight, and lethargic). She may had an infection of some sort. Those are only guesses though and a necropsy would be needed to tell for certain.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom