1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Price of organic free range eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinkarooni, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I sell mine at 3.00 a dozen 4.00 if they are big eggs. I'm in Northern Pa and the grocery store is still over mine... No wonder I never have any eggs left. [​IMG]

2. flagday76

flagday76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Carthage NY
    Here is a link to the Northeast Organic Farming Association...
    http://www.nofa.org/index.php

From the main page, select your state and find your chapter (if you are in the Northeastern United States...not sure about other areas of the country, but there must be a chapter for them as well).

You will be able to find information about Organic farming. In NY, as moenmitz and the simple life stated, we can sell our eggs as organic without certification as long as we sell less than $5000 per year. But, there is always the chance of inspection. Being that we are starting the certification process, we are keeping records etc. Another way to word it is "organically-fed hens" and "organic methods practiced" or something similar. If you do this, just be sure to explain to your customers what organic vs. natural means if you are truly selling organic eggs.

I see ads on craigslist all the the time claiming to have "organic" eggs or chickens, but I highly doubt these are in fact organic. There is a huge difference between natural and organic, then when you throw free-range in there...AAUUGGHHH!! People argue with me all the time about the term "organic". Some people try to tell me that anything coming out of the ground is organic. It is difficult to keep all the terms and definitions straight, but a little research goes a long way. Organic is a very specific method of farming and production.

Instead of judging people on their lack of knowledge, I keep trying to educate them about what we do. It does get frustrating, however, when people ridicule me for it. If you are going organic, be prepared for comments from those who do not understand or agree with it. Do your research. [​IMG]

Just my two cents...

By the way, I sold ours for $2.50 (SUPER CHEAP) a dozen at the farmer's market this summer, but the price has gone up to $3.00 (STILL CHEAP). We sell out everyday...

3. tinkarooni

tinkarooni Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Some farmers around me say that they use "organic practices" but they are very clear that they are not certified organic. That's probably what I will do. I do use organic certified feed ($23.00 a 50 lb bag!!!) and they also get all sorts of goodies from my garden. I even grew extra butternut squash and pumpkins to store for the winter just for them. My whole garden is definitely organic and I have the weeds to prove it....

Well I put out the word just to people I know and the girls definitely can't keep up with demand yet.....it will be nice to have a little extra money to put towards their feed. In the end I am doing this as a family project and to get the best possible food I can for my family. The egg $$ is just a bonus.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  4. flagday76

flagday76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Carthage NY
    Here is my reply to a post on another thread "raising chicks" about feeding organic vs. natural...
    Just my two cents...[​IMG]

Hi! I can help you with this topic...something I know a lot about!

Most people are unaware that there is a huge difference between 'natural' and 'organic'. If something is labeled as or referred to as being 'natural', this means there are very few if any additives such as preservatives, and it has been minimally processed. This does not imply the product is 'organic'. In order to be 'organic', the product must adhere to strict growing, manufacturing, processing and handling standards. In a nutshell, 'organic' means the products are grown and produced without the use of conventional methods such as pesticides, artificial fertilizers, sludge (HUMAN WASTE>>>YUCK!), growth hormones (illegal in poultry), radiation, food additives, antibiotics, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), etc. All the stuff we don't think of, but if we knew about, wouldn't want in our food.

This is where it gets tricky. Some items and products can be sold as organic without having to be certified, others have to be certified for different states, some products can be partially organic but still carry the organic label, etc.

Now, having said all that (and that's not much-ado concerning 'organic'...)

My mother and I both feed our chickens USDA certified organic feed. She runs a small free-range-organic egg business (currently in the beginning phase of certification), and I have chickens for showing and fun. Currently, our feed store charges $22.50 for a 50# bag of organic layer pellets and $25.05 (not sure what difference the $0.05 makes in the price, but whatever:rolleyes:) for a 50# bag of chick starter. We are by no means rich, but let me tell you the difference it makes in the quality of the eggs and the birds themselves. Not only does it make for great eating eggs, I can see a difference in the quality of the chicks I hatch out. And the feather quality in the birds is outstanding. All of them have an amazing sheen and silky feel...yes, even the silkies feel silkier!

I hatched four batches of eggs this year from our own stock, and had no problems with either the hatching nor with the brooding of the chicks (great hatch rate, no slow-to-thrive, deformities, deaths, etc.). Just for fun, I thought I'd hatch two more batches with eggs I traded some guineas and other chickens for. Out of these two batches, (with all other factors being constant), I had slow-to-hatch chicks, chicks with deformities, three with yolk not fully absorbed/belly not fully closed (not fun:(), two died soon after hatching, etc. I am in no way condemning others for how they feed their birds (IT IS EXPENSIVE TO FEED ORGANIC), I am just making an observation based on my experiences and research.

If anyone would like, I can post some links to great sites about going 'organic'.smile

Please note, I am not trying to suggest that conventional feed is any better/worse for someone else, because we are all in this 'chicken thing' for different reasons and we all have different situations. I respect others' right to feed their chickens what they want. I'm just presenting some information and assistance if anyone wants it.

Thanks and hope this helps!big_smile

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    How about wording it this way: "Farm Fresh Eggs from Organically Fed Chickens"? I am pretty sure that would work. People will get the idea that the eggs are healthier for them because they are from happy healthy chickens that are being fed organically. You are not claiming the eggs themselves are organic, you are just offering information about what is behind that egg you are selling.

I am working on a plan to expand the garden and enlarge my flock this year so I can set up a stand offering organically grown veggies and farm fresh eggs. Even if only my neighbors show up, we ought to have enough that we can be proud our land is working for us. I am also contemplating getting a few nubian goats for milking and possibly for meat. I have to figure out that rotation etc. I am pretty excited about it. I plan on selling the eggs for either $4 per dozen, or possibly selling by 1/2 doz. and charging $2.25 per 1/2 dozen. My veggies will either be sold by the pound, or what I would prefer is pricing per veggie($1 per head of lettuce etc.)

Best of egg selling success to you!!! [​IMG]

6. tinkarooni

tinkarooni Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Quote:This is exactly the sort of thing that I would like to do. Are you getting certified? I am probably going to call and see what the process is. I know at least a handful of people right off who would buy from me and than hopefully it will spread from there. My DH and I were talking about goats too. I know nothing about them. SO much to learn and sometimes I get overwhelmed and don't even know where to start. Such a learning process.

flagday76 - Thanks so much for the information on organic feed. It is VERY expensive but it's a choice that we have made. It certainly isn't for everyone but I did wonder if I was the only sucker on earth spending that kind of money on feed. I try to supplement it with my veggies, it helps. I know that my Agway has to order it in special for me. I guess there is no cheaper way to get the feed.

7. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I sell at 4.00 ....and I can't keep up. [​IMG]

8. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I have seen them here for $3.50 for HALF a dozen and they still required a subscription, but that is ridiculous. I feed normal feed and charge $3 but if I fed organic feed I would charge $4.

I remember watching the Martha Stewart movie and seeing her sit at a table selling $5 pies and no one would buy them. She raised the price to $15 or something ridiculous and could not make them fast enough!

People value your product based on what you value it at, up to a point. Do not undervalue your product!

9. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I sell mine for 3.50 to folks at church, and 3.00 to some families in my homeschool group. I know that I am not making a profit, but it does help with feed costs. A good friend of mine (who I buy my feed from) sells hers for 4.00, and she seems to always have a market for her eggs.
    We are in central OH.

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I say charge your friends, relatives, and neighbors $57 per dozen. They have no right to expect to get them for less than cost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by