Price of Whole Chickens

keckels

Chirping
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Was at the grocery store with my wife. A whole chicken was like $8.73. Couldn't believe it, why would anyone sell young rosters cheap if this is the case?

I've been wanting to learn how to process my own roosters.....I can't seem to get rid of them if I ask for a few dollars! The only way anyone is interested in my neck of the woods, is if I give them away for free, so that's what I do, because of limited space.

I keep telling my husband that I want to learn how to dress a bird, and he says, "No way! I had to do that when I was a kid, and you will hate it! Trust me!" So that's why I haven't done it myself yet.....

It would give me a real feeling of self sufficiency if I did it though.....

Sharon

Quote:
Don't let him deter you from finding out. It really isn't that bad! Sure it might smell a bit but after it is all overwith, it is a real sense of appreciation and suffiency that the chicken had a real happy life and YOU providing wonderful hormone free, caged free meat!

Go for it!

Quote:
We did it as a kid, but now there's YouTube that's good for things like this.

I think I might try! Thank you for the encouragement, Ewesheep and keckles.....

It would be so nice because then I'd have meat for the table as well as eggs....

Sharon

In my opinion the worst part of cleaning a bird is picking the feathers...and roosters are pretty tough meat so they have to be boiled a long time which means you really don't need the skin. So when I'm cleaning a rooster I just quickly skin them, no muss no fuss. Then you just pull the guts out, wash and your done. Takes about 5 minutes.

They make really good gumbo, soup, stew, or chicken and dumplings. Sometimes I boil one and pick the meat off for casseroles or enchiladas and then freeze the broth. With the price of food now days why would you want to give away a meal.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
Do it behind his back and serve that chicken for his dinner. Tell him NOTHING until he finishes and compliment how good it was!
old.gif

Quote:
Don't let him deter you from finding out. It really isn't that bad! Sure it might smell a bit but after it is all overwith, it is a real sense of appreciation and suffiency that the chicken had a real happy life and YOU providing wonderful hormone free, caged free meat!

Go for it!

x 2 I processed my girl who accidently broke her neck. I was sad but hay she was a chicken and a large girl and I didn't see the point in wasting the meat so I plucked, cleaned and roasted said girl ( Eleanor) And it was really good
droolin.gif
Since then everytime we get a pheasent - loads on the roads here and my car is just the right hight to clonk one in the head! - I prepare it and cook it. ( They are like wild Chickens!) I feel so good about this that I can achive it and be more self sufficient. I now want to do Meat birds. I just find the actual killing bit challenging. The other - plucking it's easy if you get a good rythem up and start on the breast. I dry pluck and can get one done in about 30 mins now. That is cleaned out, plucked, head & feet removed and tied. I am working on my time!!!!! - Just go you do it and tell the DH after he ate - he can;t really know how you will feel. Only you can decide if it is for you!

Oesdog

Quote:
No they are way better than store bought chicken. It's like comparing real butter to margarine. They have so much more flavor and texture.

Back
Top Bottom