1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prices for eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by texaschickmama, Feb 11, 2008.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Okay, I think I'm going to say $2/ dozen and $3 for 18 eggs, what do you think?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I sell mine by the dozen or sometimes they may want 18 so I will fix them up and charge accordingly.I'm about .50 cheaper than the grocery store in my area which is $2.50.

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you're charging too little. You shouldn't be comparing your eggs to any store eggs. They're MUCH better. I'd suggest $5.00 per dozen ...or hmmm... that's $.41 each. Honestly, people will pay it cause they're sooo good.

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Really, I don't know, well, maybe I could always say $3/dozen and then come down. We aren't going to make any money off of it, but maybe it could pay for their feed. I have a buff orpington flock and could really sell hatching eggs for $20 a dozen, and they are the same eggs.....[​IMG]

5. Big Spur Gamecock

Big Spur Gamecock Out Of The Brooder

Howdy Y'all,
    I feel as though I've been getting ripped after reading what y'all charge for your eggs. I've been selling mine, large browns at a Buck fifty for 18. Sounds like I should go up at least .50 cents. Those ol boys down at the power company been buying up every egg I have for years now. They have a big pow wow every morning where they'll cook up 46 fried eggs for in house breakfast.
    Only job I ever had that served meals to you on the clock was the US NAVY.
    Thanks for the info- very useful!

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My friend pays $3.75 a dozen for farm fresh eggs and drives about 12 miles to get them.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In the local grocery stores, plain white eggs sell for $3/doz, not brown, not cage free, not organic, just the regular cheapest eggs. Mine are free range eggs. I was charging $2/doz to my neighbors and with feed prices, my customers raised their own prices, said I was charging them too little and are now paying $3/doz. If feed goes higher, I don't know what I'll do, but I may just keep my prices where they are.

8. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:That is exactly what I sold them for last year, but I think I'll go up $1 a dzn this year.

9. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    My local feedstore sells eggs for $1.75 a dozen. The local farmers market has them for $3 a dozen and I've even seen a sign on the side of the road where a farmer sells them for $1 a dozen! I think I'll be lucky to get $1.50 to $1.75 a dozen when I start selling.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sell them their first dozen for $1. Then tell them if they like them and want more, the regular price is $3/dozen. Make a handout of the benefits of freerange eggs over commercially produced eggs and give it to them with the first dozen. GET 'Em HOOKED!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by