Prices for eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by texaschickmama, Feb 11, 2008.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Okay, I think I'm going to say $2/ dozen and $3 for 18 eggs, what do you think?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I sell mine by the dozen or sometimes they may want 18 so I will fix them up and charge accordingly.I'm about .50 cheaper than the grocery store in my area which is $2.50.

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you're charging too little. You shouldn't be comparing your eggs to any store eggs. They're MUCH better. I'd suggest $5.00 per dozen ...or hmmm... that's $.41 each. Honestly, people will pay it cause they're sooo good.

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Really, I don't know, well, maybe I could always say $3/dozen and then come down. We aren't going to make any money off of it, but maybe it could pay for their feed. I have a buff orpington flock and could really sell hatching eggs for $20 a dozen, and they are the same eggs.....[​IMG]

5. Big Spur Gamecock

Big Spur Gamecock Out Of The Brooder

Howdy Y'all,
    I feel as though I've been getting ripped after reading what y'all charge for your eggs. I've been selling mine, large browns at a Buck fifty for 18. Sounds like I should go up at least .50 cents. Those ol boys down at the power company been buying up every egg I have for years now. They have a big pow wow every morning where they'll cook up 46 fried eggs for in house breakfast.
    Only job I ever had that served meals to you on the clock was the US NAVY.
    Thanks for the info- very useful!

6. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My friend pays $3.75 a dozen for farm fresh eggs and drives about 12 miles to get them.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In the local grocery stores, plain white eggs sell for $3/doz, not brown, not cage free, not organic, just the regular cheapest eggs. Mine are free range eggs. I was charging $2/doz to my neighbors and with feed prices, my customers raised their own prices, said I was charging them too little and are now paying $3/doz. If feed goes higher, I don't know what I'll do, but I may just keep my prices where they are.

8. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:That is exactly what I sold them for last year, but I think I'll go up $1 a dzn this year.

9. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    My local feedstore sells eggs for $1.75 a dozen. The local farmers market has them for $3 a dozen and I've even seen a sign on the side of the road where a farmer sells them for $1 a dozen! I think I'll be lucky to get $1.50 to $1.75 a dozen when I start selling.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sell them their first dozen for $1. Then tell them if they like them and want more, the regular price is $3/dozen. Make a handout of the benefits of freerange eggs over commercially produced eggs and give it to them with the first dozen. GET 'Em HOOKED!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by