Pricing Australorp chicks

TXChookstead

Songster
Sep 16, 2021
East Texas
Our first batch of incubated eggs is about 9 days from hatching. Dad and mamas are all black Australorps. I'm hoping to sell most of them straight run within a week or two, but am not sure on price.

Murray McMurray sells straight run for about $3.53/ea, but of course there is a large minimum, and shipping charges on top of that. On Craigslist locally I am seeing $3.00-$4.00 (mostly $4) for what may be barnyard mixes, and $5.00 for Americaunas and Black Copper Marans. There isn't a lot else out there currently.

Would it be too much to ask $5.00? Maybe discount for a certain quantity (i.e. 5 for $20, or something like that)?

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

I am going to speak for myself only.

I would pay a little bit more to buy from a well-known hatchery to help prevent me from bringing a potential disease into my flock.

I can buy Ideal chicks for:
Screenshot_20220122-142939.png

Our first batch of incubated eggs is about 9 days from hatching. Dad and mamas are all black Australorps. I'm hoping to sell most of them straight run within a week or two, but am not sure on price.

Murray McMurray sells straight run for about $3.53/ea, but of course there is a large minimum, and shipping charges on top of that. On Craigslist locally I am seeing $3.00-$4.00 (mostly $4) for what may be barnyard mixes, and $5.00 for Americaunas and Black Copper Marans. There isn't a lot else out there currently.

Would it be too much to ask $5.00? Maybe discount for a certain quantity (i.e. 5 for $20, or something like that)?

Thanks for any words of wisdom!
I don't know where you are located but I'm from southern Iowa. We live and are surrounded by the "poor" counties in our state.
I sell according to my location and what people are willing to pay. I had purebred Ayam Cemani's and no one in the backwoods here knew what in the world they were and why would they pay so much for them... It taught me a lesson. (Same with Pita Pintas.)
I sold my chicks to a girl 2 hours away, and my breeding birds to a couple 4 hours away. I kept a couple in the chicken house with a bunch of random purebreds.
I sell dozens of purebred hatching eggs for $20. I sell Marans, Bielefelders, Bantam Cochins, Large Cochins as chicks for $4 each. When I sell chicks, I keep all chicks away from all other birds. I have brooders set up in my basement. If they don't sell I move the price to $3 a chick or give them money off buying more.
Be prepared to have to drive to meet people, and factor that into your pricing. I think I'm going to have to say a higher price unless they come here to get them and then take some money off. People get pissy when you tell them there is a delivery fee.

Thanks y'all! (I'm in Texas.) So maybe $4 tops it sounds like, with a possible discount off that. Right now it looks like a couple of friends might be interested, so of course they will get the friends' discount. We will keep some as well. They will be separate from the other chickens.

So, wondering...we aren't doing it for the money, but it's nice to at least recoup the electricity, feed, bedding, and effort costs. Does it ever work out that way? At $3 or $4 each, I'm guessing not. :idunno

Thanks y'all! (I'm in Texas.) So maybe $4 tops it sounds like, with a possible discount off that. Right now it looks like a couple of friends might be interested, so of course they will get the friends' discount. We will keep some as well. They will be separate from the other chickens.

So, wondering...we aren't doing it for the money, but it's nice to at least recoup the electricity, feed, bedding, and effort costs. Does it ever work out that way? At $3 or $4 each, I'm guessing not. :idunno
I guess every little bit helps. :) I can keep birds I like, have meat and eggs and sell some chicks to some happy people.

Well, my theory would be any money made, would make my investment cost less, making my hobby less costly.

Truthfully it is very hard to make money in this venture. In order to do breeding well, you need a large population and a very sharp knife. It is definitely fun to play with, but not realistic to plan to make money.

I would not be surprised that even the really big set ups, with real exotic breeds, that sell chicks for very large amounts don't have a rather fine line with profit and loss.

Mrs K

Because you get gas for free, right? And your time is worth nothing?

I would EXPECT to pay more for delivery. SMH.
It hadn't even occurred to me to deliver them. I can't remember a time I had expected that of a local transaction unless I had paid extra for it.

Grateful for everyone's input. I think backyard chicken owners must be an altruistic breed on the whole. Bet we all give away lots of eggs, too!

Back
Top Bottom