Pricing quail

Study economics. Figure out your cost to raise them to eating size. Charge more than that. If you can't keep them on the shelf, raise the price. If you can't sell them, lower the price. When the sales price falls below cost, get out of the business.

Unless this is just a hobby, then good luck and have fun!

@007Sean I may need to bring an empty truck to see you about pheasants...

I wanna raise pheasants but the jumbo ones . I'd have to buy a hundred chicks to get them online . I'd rather wait and buy hatching eggs . Since in getting the knack of incubating now .

Around here (rural NW PA) day olds are $1-$2. Grown birds about $8. I sold a group of three females (laying) last summer for $25.
I've seen pheasants for sale about $12-15 although that really seems too cheap to me.

I know Right . This guy bout 40 miles from me sells his pheasant pullets for 12 adult for 15 $ but I'm not gonna be cheap with mine I eat them myself first lol! Should I charge more for the Butler bobwhites since they supposedly grow bigger than the jumbo courtinix quail ?

I currently have 25 adult jumbo courtinix quail about 2 months old no eggs yet excellent ratio of male to female . 12 butler bobwhites about 3 weeks old . Question how much should I sell 1 quail for dressed or undressed . I plan on rotating hatching eggs and selling birds for meat . Also sell eggs I have about 20 females and 5 males .
Where are you located?

Something else to consider is if your state requires permits for birds. Here in PA we have to permit bobwhites and pheasants but not coturnix quail. I would think anything requiring a permit would really limit your buyers :(
The pheasants I've seen for sale were across the border in Ohio. I have no idea what they require there.

Something else to consider is if your state requires permits for birds. Here in PA we have to permit bobwhites and pheasants but not coturnix quail. I would think anything requiring a permit would really limit your buyers :(
The pheasants I've seen for sale were across the border in Ohio. I have no idea what they require there.
Good idea. I know there are wild quail on our property. But i am new to Virginia so not sure what is required in the way of permits.

I wanna raise pheasants but the jumbo ones . I'd have to buy a hundred chicks to get them online . I'd rather wait and buy hatching eggs . Since in getting the knack of incubating now .
Darrell, pheasant hatching eggs ship very poorly. Idk why because their no different than quail, chicken, turkey, or other gamebirds eggs. Best to find out how they ship their eggs before buying. I have higher hatch rates of the eggs when shipped in foam, versus shipped with bubble wrap, saw dust, paper towels or bagels, (yep, you read that right, had some shipped with bagels as packing material):lau the trend now is the use of clear egg cartons, I really don't like that method. I've stopped buying eggs unless they are shipped in foam. It's really best to buy adult birds. There's just alot of risk involved with shipped eggs.

I'm addicted to the hatching thing right now . Wasn't going to get chickens now I've hatched out game fowl . Just won an auction for some copper Morans and a seperate one for blue copper marans . Think it's the brown egg thing lol ! Wasn't going to get ducks now I have 20 appleyard & khaki Campbell mix eggs in incubator . Have hatched chukar courtinix quail, bobwhites OMG when will it stop lol! J pheasant eggs I've been unlucky won acuction for 10 mix . The lady sent 15 extra Free only one egg hatched . And the poor thing got ate when I put in a pen outside .

Well here where I am , I'm glad you asked that you made me look it up I can have under a hundred for personal use no selling . If I have over a hundred must get a breeders license for 27.50 then I can package and sell my quail but must keep accurate records . Food for thought if I go that route .

Back
Top Bottom