Privett hatchery? Any good or bad reviews?

I was having the same question. That's what got me into this forum. I bought chickens from tractor supply earlier today and one of the girls told me that they got them from privett hatchery out of new mexico. Last year I bought 6 assorted pullets and wound with 4 roos and 2 hens. Hopefully the 6 plus 2 bantums I got this year have a better ratio. Anybody else have any comments. I'm all ears.

I got my first chicks from Privett April 2008 - I ordered 20 Silkies and 10 D'Uccles - they arrived quickly and safely. None DOA. I did lose 3 chicks after a few weeks, but that was our fault.

7479_100_6273.jpg

7479_100_6304.jpg

7479_100_6287.jpg

Yes Privett has healthy birds of decent quality, but they have TERRIBLE customer service when dealing with them directly. I as well has serveral other BYC members have posted on various other threads about the poor service from the people who work there, but if you are buying indirectly from the feed store, they should be fine.

My 12 yr old daughter has done all the ordering over the phone, in the past two years she has ordered over 100 birds from them, they have been great. No problems at all. They dont spend much time on the website. But our experience has been good.

On a CDC site there was mention of an outbreak of Salmonella Montevideo in 2006 that was possibly linked to a hatchery in NM, they also said this hatchery 'also had been identified previously as the source of chicks that caused outbreaks of human Salmonella species infections in 2002 and 2005 (New Mexico Department of Health, unpublished data, 2007).' They are the only large hatchery that I know of in NM. There are also hatcheries in MI and WA in the article, but the hatcheries are only identified as 'Hatchery A, Hatchery B, and Hatchery C'. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5612a1.htm

While
I certainly understand that dealing with poultry, you are exposed to things like this... 2006 was the year that I got poults from Privett and had a high mortality rate. If I recall correctly, the symptoms were like Salmonella, which was what started me searching for information to begin with. I did get some African goslings from them previously and all did very well, I love them. All in all, I think I would possibly order from them again, but I try to work with hatcheries that are a bit closer to where we are.

Our feed store birds come from Privett. It seems like last year they had a horrible time with their pullet runs. There were quite a few roos in there. I was lucky that my 18 birds only had one roo. Of the silkies (straight run) I had 4 roos and 2 pullets. And the silkies were definitely nothing to write home about. They were fine as pet quality. But for anyone wanting something for their kids to show you would be better off getting birds elsewhere. In fact I would say that all of their birds are fine for barnyard quality, but nothing more. My birds were all healthy and all lived. Now that some of them are one year old I am finding that I have quite a few that lay small eggs (for the breed) and some of the birds are small for the breed. I'm guessing that they are cranking out chicks as fast as they can and there is little thought given to selective breeding practices. On the same note, I have found that neighbor's birds from Ideal are along the same lines...not well bred fro the breed, healthy enough but laying small eggs and not as productive as they could be from past experience with other birds.

Yes Privett has healthy birds of decent quality, but they have TERRIBLE customer service when dealing with them directly

That!

LOL

I bought this guy at Big R...
1002472.jpg

and was trying to figure out if he was a rouen or a mallard. (I was a n00b at the time) Since I knew they came from Privett, I called them directly to see if they had even shipped any mallards to Big R in Falcon, CO.

The lady on the phone was stupid, rude and obnoxious. I figured out from people on here that he was a rouen. He was healthy...got to give them that. But someone there needs some serious customer service classes.
1003056s.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I've read a lot about Privett. Here's my experience;

I called them no less than 5 times from beginning until today. (this being my first 'hatchery' order) Each and every time I got a live person within the first 3 or 4 rings. Each and every time they were polite, knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly.

Two weeks after my initial order of 25, I had several others folks want to join in with my order. I called them up and doubled my order. Again, helpful, friendly, and very easy to deal with.

Today, I got what I ordered (as far as I can tell on the first day....) it cost what they said it would cost, they arrived when they said they would arrive, no DOA, and I couldn't be happier.

So, at least in MY experience, ordering direct from Privett hatchery, has been a pleasure!

Here are my fuzzy butts today;

22639_dscf7032.jpg

22639_dscf7033.jpg

22639_dscf7046.jpg

22639_dscf7050a.jpg

Quote:
I just wanted to update you on my Privett Hatchery Experience.

It's been 5 days, and I continue to be happy with them. Birds are active, eating, drinking, growing, and seem to be of good strong stock.

(at least) In my experience, Privett did a wonderful job!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom