Probably being paranoid but how do you know if a duck is a little sick, or very sick?

First, I would use a different water container. I used a ricotta cheese container, and later a cool whip tub, with a hole cut out of the lid for their beaks, and then placed THAT inside a heavy ceramic dish that they could not tip over and that would catch any spills from the container. Also, you may want to try pelleted horse stall bedding instead of or mixed with the shavings. They absorb a LOT of water (turns from pellets into sawdusty crumbles) and helps keep things dry. Also, try using a puppy pee pad on the bottom of it all in case there are any spills; it helps to keep the wetness localized.

Also, you could try adding apple cider vinegar to their water (like Braggs, which has "the mother" in it). I have heard several people on here suggest it. I think it's a tablespoon per gallon of water, but someone please correct me if I am wrong. I think the electrolytes are not a bad idea either if they are sick or stressed.

They will likely outgrow the brooder soon--probably a week, judging by the size of the brooder and how many babies are in there. They grow so fast--mine have basically doubled in size each week.

You will not be a bad parent. You will be a great parent. You are concerned about your little ones, and doing tons of research and seeking advice in trying to determine the correct course of action. Believe me, there isn't a parent alive who doesn't second-guess their actions--and if I found one, THAT would be the parent I would be concerned with.

Their brooder is way too small for that number/size of ducklings. Is there a way to give them a big upgrade? That is another reason it is staying so wet and dirty. When that starts happening, it's time to upgrade their living quarters. You could even divide them into multiple groups if you only have that size container handy. They need lots more space, I think that will fix alot of your issues.

Edit: Also, sounds like they are getting over-heated. If they are panting you need to lower the heat a bit. They're not always smart enough to move away from the heat lamp when they're hot. They are ducks after all. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the great parent comment. They shouldn't be the slightest bit stressed. I wouldn't think hot, or they'd go to the cooler side.

After the last post, I ran out to buy Corid (for coccidiosis), Oxytetracycline (broad spectrum antibiotic), Vitamin&electrolyte powder, and VetRx (colds, roup, scaly legs, "eye worms" - ingredients: canada balsam, camphor, oil origanum, oil rosemary, blended in a corn oil base). They said it would be safe to give them all of them. I just got back home and seem kinda fine..

I'm new to this whole freaking out thing. Normally I'm calm and carefree, even in situations where I shouldn't be. I'm going to clean out their box real well. Then see if there's any change, and then check back here. I'm probably going to give them all of the above, plus some apple cider vinegar unless anyone objects. While it contradicts my "helping is a crutch and makes them weaker" mentality; I would much rather have the peace of mind and play it safe right now. It only makes them stronger if it doesn't kill them..

Oh and definitely going to upgrade asap. They did grow kinda quick. And change out the water container now while cleaning home.

I think you might be right about the duck brains (lol) and moving closer/farther away from heat. Yesterday the smallest one was wet and cold. I dried him and kept him close to heat. He wasn't figuring it out on his own. I think a few might have been too warm and not been moving. Explains why they're fine now.

So I'm pretty sure I've lost my mind. My decisions are as indecisive as it gets. I'm worse than a flip-flopping politician.

I gave them a bath because they were so dirty. They had a blast. I see no reason to think they're sick, or that I should give them anything. Home is clean. I added a double-layered paper towel sandwich with rice in the middle underneath the bedding to help control moisture.

I put a large center dipped plate under the water as a temp solution. It should hold any extra water and give me plenty of time to get it out before it hits the bedding. A few days ago I cut the plastic water container that would be perfect, but w/ too large of a hole. I do think they need to upgrade homes. They have grown fast. I'm not sure if they truly had diarrhea or not. Maybe poop increases quickly w/ growth. But it did seem to be an instant 'day and night' change.

I'm doing a terrible job being objective. If everything is fine now, I'll think I overreacted and was being crazy. If another one dies, I'll think I was stupid and bad for not giving them all of the meds now. Ugh, I don't know whats real, this sucks. The 'crazy parents' suddenly make a lot more sense.. I'm going to go build them a new home.

You obviously care alot about them and are doing the right things! I don't think they are sick either, so the meds might be a bit of overkill at the moment. ;) BUT, it's great that you have them in case something happens! Keep us updated and I'd love to see their new home once you have it all built. ^-^

You obviously care alot about them and are doing the right things! I don't think they are sick either, so the meds might be a bit of overkill at the moment. ;) BUT, it's great that you have them in case something happens! Keep us updated and I'd love to see their new home once you have it all built. ^-^
Thank you. They not only appear good, but better even. I guess they were too hot, and too wet. The moisture situation has changed drastically already. I slowly moved the light farther and farther away until I turned it off completely. Then I moved them out of the bathroom and we hung out in a bedroom, with the fan on. It's hot atm, around 80. They seem to love it, prefer it. I guess they grew out of 90 degrees..

They all seem healthy and happy. They've grown 'chests' I just noticed. They really have gotten a lot bigger. No way they'd fit in an egg. Three of them jumped/hopped over other ducks. All three were in a span of a minute. I've never seen them do that before.

I sort of ghetto'd there upgrade since I figure they'll be needing another one soon enough. I'm turning my greenhouse into a home for later but I'm going to make a medium house until I'm ready for them to stay outside. For a very short-term, ghetto upgrade I converted the bath. I put down plastic liner and bedding. I haven't actually put them in yet. I'm not completely convinced it'll work how it is. I get the feeling they're going to do their best to get between the tub and plastic and then I'll make sure they can't.

I've been hanging out with them to make sure they don't get cold and they're not. I probably should have realized they didn't need so much heat. When I take them outside they like to go in the shade. They have kind of have been sending me unclear signals but not moving closer/farther. But then again, they have also been impossible to keep dry.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

What a day. I saw it was 7:30p and I couldn't believe it. I have no idea where the day went. I'm still not completely sure what I actually think happened. Did their system just clear out? Was it one cold wet duck that died, while others had a heat issue? Other? I'm not sure, but I do know everything seems good now, and a duckling dying makes me wig-out.

Looks much better! Glad they all seem to be doing well. Just as a heads up, I bet in another week they will be too big for that set up. You are doing great, try to relax tonight.

That looks much better, great job! But yes, they will quickly outgrow that as well, but at least you have some more time now to figure out a bigger set-up. Ducklings grow SO fast!

The one that died may have had something wrong with it, or just got too wet/weak and been trampled by the others, there's really no way to know for sure. It happens though, so don't beat yourself up over it. You've fixed everything you have control over.

They only need around 90 degrees the first week, but since it is so warm where you are they really are probably fine with no heat lamp anymore. You have to base temperatures on their behaviors, they don't all read the charts of proper duckling temperature needs. ;) For example, my Cayuga ducklings always only seem to need a little heat for their first week, then they get hot if there is a heat lamp on anywhere near them. Goofy ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom